Purple Flowering plant for ID | 06Jun10AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 5, 2010, 2:32:09 PM6/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flowering plant for ID |  06Jun10AR01

Date/Time :

11 May 2010 1:31PM

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Mullur, Mysore district, s

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Village

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

 Shrub

Height/length:

4 feet

Leaves-type/shape/size:

lanceolate like, 5 lobed, Palmate, 20cms, acuminate, opposite

Inflorescence type /size:

Compound Umbel

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

2-3cms/Purple/

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

 -

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on:

 -

Regards
Raghu

DSC_2492a.jpg
DSC_2493b.jpg
DSC_2496b.jpg
DSC_2496d.jpg
DSC_2492c.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 2:53:48 PM6/5/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu Ji,
Hopefully Vitex negundo from Verbenaceae in benli we call it " Nishinde pata"
regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

raghu ananth

Jun 5, 2010, 3:30:07 PM6/5/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com

Tanay ji,

One difference,

While the leaf margin  is entire in my photo, it is serrate (pointed teeth) in the wiki reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitex_negundo

Thanks/ Regards

Raghu

Jun 5, 2010, 11:13:38 PM6/5/10
to R. Vijayasankar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu Ji
This plant is undoubtedly Vitex negundo it never has a toothed margin in mature plant I have seen this plant several times as very common all over India so do in Bengal, This is Bengali we call " Nishinde pata" used to lower high fever hence even sold in markets. Look at the leaves it has a very distinct character,( which escapes your photography) the upper surface is dark green while the lower surface is greenish white, the stem is perfectly square. I am very sure about the ID. I am attaching the herbarium specimen available with me, kindly see the attachment.
Regards
Tanay
DSC04562.JPG

raghu ananth

Jun 6, 2010, 12:31:07 AM6/6/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for the Identification reaffirmation.and info on medicinal uses..

Regards
Raghu

Jun 6, 2010, 6:19:14 AM6/6/10
to raghu ananth, R. Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com