Plant for ID 1 SMP 9Jul 2010

Satish Phadke

Jul 9, 2010, 10:20:25 AM7/9/10
to indiantreepix
A herb 3 feet. Opposite leaves significantly of unequal size.
For ID
Dr Phadke

Date/Time-

9Jul 2010 After Noon

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Herb

Height/Length-

3feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Oblong ovate. Opposite unequal. 10cm*5cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

?cyme, Axillary

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

0.5cm white,5petals separate

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Red cherry like

DSCN9843s.jpg
DSCN9844s.jpg
DSCN9847s.jpg
DSCN9848s.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 9, 2010, 10:26:44 AM7/9/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
... most probably ... Rauvolfia tetraphylla ... commonly known as: American serpentwood, be still tree, devil root, four-leaved devil-pepper, milkbush • Bengali: বড চন্দ্রিকা bar chandrika, গন্ধনকুলী gandhanakuli • Hindi: बडा चन्द्रिका barachandrika • Kannada: ದೊಡ್ಡ ಚಮ್ದ್ರಿಕೆ dodda chandrike • Oriya: patalagarudi • Telugu: papataku

Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Jul 9, 2010, 10:30:01 AM7/9/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Rauvolfia tetraphylla (Apocyanaceae).

Regards--
Ken.

Jul 9, 2010, 10:51:09 AM7/9/10
to indiantreepix
Yes indeed it appears to be Rauvolfia tetraphylla.
Family Apocynaceae (Not Rubiaceae as I thought)
It is not native to Maharashtra according to BSI Flora Mah. and is listed as a cultivated species Planted or an escape.
It is a shrub upto 1.5 m tall.(not herb as described by me)
As the species name suggests the leaves are in whorls(Similar to other Rauvolfia species) of 3-4.elliptic ovate,densely pubescent beneath, acute to subacute at both ends.(Not opposite as I thought)
Flowers cream coloured 0.3 cm. Drupes connate to top. Fls and Frts. throughout the year.
Dr Phadke