Cullenia fruit

Kalyan Varma

Jan 7, 2010, 12:53:10 AM1/7/10
to indiantreepix

This is the Cullenia fruit on the forest floor. One of the so called keystone species of Western ghats.

Kalyan

_DSC3144.jpg

Neil Soares

Jan 7, 2010, 12:58:26 PM1/7/10
to indiantreepix, Kalyan Varma
Hi,
 Cullenia exarillata is the main source of food for the endangered Lion Tailed Macaque. Had photographed these gigantic trees [which stood clear of the canopy] in the Silent Valley National Park.Sending a few photographs.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 1/7/10, Kalyan Varma <kal...@rtns.org> wrote:

Cullenia exarillata [Karani].jpg
Cullenia exarillata leaves.jpg

ranjini kamath

Jan 8, 2010, 3:51:52 AM1/8/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Kalyan Varma
Also called Wild Durian or Karayani-[MSSwaminathan-Major Flowering
Trees in India].I remember coming across this in the Silent Valley
too.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath