Plant for ID SMP 11March 2010

Satish Phadke

Apr 12, 2010, 11:36:20 AM4/12/10
to indiantreepix Indian
I saw this deciduous tree on Mhatoba hill adjacent to Vetal hill Pune.(Mah) Very big tree 20 meters or so..growing wild. I could find many similar trees in the vicinity. Some new foliage was observed on the tips of branches. The leaves were clustered near the tips; very much velvety by feel slightly fragrant. Oval to spherical fruits were observed in clusters near the tips of branches. Size Max diameter 1.5 cm Min diameter 1 cm.A single rough balck seed seen inside. In one of the pictures I can see dried flowers which might indicate Anacardiaceae family. This tree is accassible to me. I have to wait for next season to keep track of the flowers.
Hoping to get the ID
Dr Phadke Satish
IMG_8629s.jpg
IMG_8630s.jpg
IMG_8633s.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 12, 2010, 11:44:12 AM4/12/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Buchnania lanzan  of Anacardiaceae..?
Satish jee.. check for ripened fruits which are black in color, densely and finely pubescent ,  watery... and are edible too.!

tanay bose

Apr 12, 2010, 11:46:42 AM4/12/10
to Parjanya guru, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear satish Ji,
I hope Buchnania lanzan !!
Regards
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 12, 2010, 9:33:27 PM4/12/10
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Yes to Buchanania lanzan (Anacardiaceae). The seeds are in commercially traded in the name of Chironji. Tamil name: Saara paruppu.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 12, 2010, 11:24:41 PM4/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Parjanya guru, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Buchanania lanzan is commonly known as: almondette, calumpong nut, cheronjee, Cuddapah almond, Hamilton mombin • Assamese: পিয়াল piyal • Bengali: chironji, piyal, sarop • Gujarati: ચારોળી charoli • Hindi: चार char, चिरोंजी chironji or चिरौंजी chiraunji, पियाल piyal, प्रसवक pra-savak, प्रियाल priyal • Kannada: ಚಾರೊಳಿ charoli, ಕೊಲೆ ಮಾವು kole maavu • Konkani: चार char • Malayalam: മൂങ്ങാപ്പേഴ് muungaappeezh, നുറമരം nuramaram • Marathi: चार char, चारोळी charoli, पियाल piyal • Oriya: charu, chanhra • Nepalese: चिरोंजि chiraunjee • Sanskrit: अखट्टः akhatth, मुनि muni, पियाल piyala, प्रसवकः prasavakh, प्रियाल priyala, राजनदनः rajanadanha, उपवटः upavatth • Tamil: சாரம் charam • Telugu: చార char, చారుమామిడి charumamidi, ప్రియాళువు priyaluvu, రాజాదనము raj-adanamu • Urdu: چرونجي chironji

Regards.

chilesatish

Apr 13, 2010, 1:47:53 AM4/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Parjanya guru, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
 Buchanania lanzan (Anacardiaceae). Fruits become black on ripening and they are very tasty. Cotyledons are removed breaking the hard seed coat and it is used a "Mewa" for making Barfi a sweet dish. "Chironji ki Barfi" a famous sweet dish of Sagar M.P. Never miss to buy if you ever visit Sagar a place where Central University is located. Fortunately I am proud of being the student of the same University. "Chironji" revive the old memories of Sagar and I must not forget to remember my Ph.D. supervisor a great Plant Pathologist Late. Prof Dr. K.M. Vyas who gave me a lot of botany.
With regards.
Satish

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Buchanania lanzan is commonly known as: almondette, calumpong nut, cheronjee, Cuddapah almond, Hamilton mombin • Assamese: পিয়াল piyal • Bengali: chironji, piyal, sarop • Gujarati: ચારોળી charoli • Hindi: चार char, चिरोंजी chironji or चिरौंजी chiraunji, पियाल piyal, प्रसवक pra-savak, प्रियाल priyal • Kannada: ಚಾರೊಳಿ charoli, ಕೊಲೆ ಮಾವು kole maavu • Konkani: चार char • Malayalam: മൂങ്ങാപ്പേഴ് muungaappeezh, നുറമരം nuramaram • Marathi: चार char, चारोळी charoli, पियाल piyal • Oriya: charu, chanhra • Nepalese: चिरोंजि chiraunjee • Sanskrit: अखट्टः akhatth, मुनि muni, पियाल piyala, प्रसवकः prasavakh, प्रियाल priyala, राजनदनः rajanadanha, उपवटः upavatth • Tamil: சாரம் charam • Telugu: చార char, చారుమామిడి charumamidi, ప్రియాళువు priyaluvu, రాజాదనము raj-adanamu • Urdu: چرونجي chironji

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile