Laportea interrupta (L.) Chew from Hooghly

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 3:41:26 PM8/18/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

The first member mentioned in the "Plant Groups", under Urticaceae family, is Fleurya interrupta (L.) Gaud. But KEW says it is an unresolved name! While Flora of China and Tropicos state it is synonym of Laportea interrupta (L.) Chew, which in turn is an accepted name of Fleurya interrupta (L.) Wight !

Attaching images of what we call LAL-BICHUTI in Bengali, a common stinging herb.

Species : Laportea interrupta (L.) Chew
Habit & Habitat : wild herb, about 1 foot tall, common on roadside and wasteplace
Bengali name : LAL-BICHUTI
Date : 18/8/12, 10.35 A.M.
Place : Hooghly
Site visited :

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8658.jpg
Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8660.jpg
Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8661.jpg
Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8662.jpg
Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8666.jpg
Fleurya_interrupta_DSCN8674.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Aug 18, 2012, 10:29:12 PM8/18/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes, Surajit...
I notice its growing very close to an old wall... was it by any chance growing in the mortar between the bricks or wa sit growing in the ground by the wall...

its one of the plants that love lime and need lime to grow ... hence the question...

Usha di
ps I hope you are not touching or handling all these  bichhutis by bare hands..remember what the word bichhuti implies

=========

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:37:52 PM8/18/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

It was growing in the ground, by the wall and of course there were some unused building materials where i found this herb
Your words, "...love lime...", explain why i very often find this plant by sides of boundary walls.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Aug 20, 2012, 1:13:36 PM8/20/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

This one is for you, recorded on 18th Oct., 2009.

Regards,

surajit

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
old_DSCN6976.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Aug 21, 2012, 4:16:47 AM8/21/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
yes
can be used as an  example for lime loving plants in your classes.

if i need to i'll ask you
thanks
usha di
=
--
Usha di

surajit koley

Aug 21, 2012, 1:43:19 PM8/21/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Oh! Usha Di, not BICHHUTI  but the photograph, to express my gratefulness.

Regards,

surajit