Gulmohar Tree

Skip to the first unread message

mani nair

31 May 2010, 12:09:08 pm31/05/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Seen this Gulmohar tree with full of flowers at Uruli Kanchan Ashram, Pune on 15.5.2010.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Mani.
gul.jpg

tanay bose

31 May 2010, 12:11:14 pm31/05/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Delonix regia !! Do u have a close up
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

mani nair

31 May 2010, 12:23:54 pm31/05/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, Tanayji, I did not take the closeup of this tree.   When I was uploading the photos I remembered about the closup.

By the way, a gulmohar tree planted by me in our Society ten years back has not flowered yet.  What could be the reason?   Is it due to the big bottle palms growing near to it?  The sunlight is plenty.

Please help.

Mani.

tanay bose

31 May 2010, 12:26:34 pm31/05/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I don't know Mani Ji , What amount of photoperiod Gumohor requires you assumption can be correct
Tanay

Kenneth Greby

31 May 2010, 12:45:49 pm31/05/10
to tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Interesting article on photoperiodicity of Delonix regia here in Miami, Florida, USA.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/29/1654051/an-explosion-of-color-returns.html

Regards--
Ken.

31 May 2010, 12:55:07 pm31/05/10
to Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanayji and Mr. Kenneth for your reply.  Mr. Kenneth, I just saw the tree and its surroundings,  and there is no lamps near to it.  It is totally dark there.   Is there any other reason?    In Gulmohar is there a male and female tree like in Papaya..

Regards,

Mani.

Kenneth Greby

31 May 2010, 1:07:30 pm31/05/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mani--

 There are no separate male/female trees.

 Coming from seasonally-dry Madagascar, trees generally bloom best following a prolonged dry period. I'm not sure of the local conditions there, but if it is consistently wet, trees often fail to set flower buds.

Regards--
Ken.

31 May 2010, 11:31:18 pm31/05/10
to Kenneth Greby, mani nair, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are some closeups of Delonix regia  from Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Delonix-regia-Delhi-1.jpg
Delonix-regia-Delhi-2.jpg
Delonix-regia-Delhi-3.jpg

tanay bose

31 May 2010, 11:40:55 pm31/05/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Kenneth Greby, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really Nice closeup Sir Ji
Tanay

Nudrat

1 Jun 2010, 7:03:41 am01/06/10
to efloraofindia
Very Pretty Pics Gurcharan ji

On May 31, 3:40 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really Nice closeup Sir Ji
> Tanay
>

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here are some closeups of Delonix regia  from Delhi
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>
>
> > On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Mani--
>
> >>  There are no separate male/female trees.
>
> >>  Coming from seasonally-dry Madagascar, trees generally bloom best
> >> following a prolonged dry period. I'm not sure of the local conditions
> >> there, but if it is consistently wet, trees often fail to set flower buds.
>
> >> Regards--
> >> Ken.
>
> >> ------------------------------

Gurcharan Singh

1 Jun 2010, 7:09:43 am01/06/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Thanks Nudrat ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

promila chaturvedi

1 Jun 2010, 7:26:21 am01/06/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Though planting any tree is fine and Delonix regia looks very pretty when in bloom. Otherwise also it is fine to have it. When  it is used as main avenue tree it does not seve full purpose. We live in hot country where we need lots of shade on our roads nine months in a year. This beautiful tree is unable to do it.
Regards,
Promila

Anand Kumar Bhatt

1 Jun 2010, 2:17:26 pm01/06/10
to promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
I am told that because it is an exotic tree, birds dont perch/roost or nest in it Is it correct?
ak
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 30 May 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

mani nair

2 Jun 2010, 6:22:19 am02/06/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Yes, I think you are right  Ananji,  I have not seen any birds nesting on this tree.  Only exeption is our Crow !!

Regards,

Mani.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

2 Jun 2010, 8:05:58 am02/06/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Madhuriji: so it is the crows only!
ak

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM, <formp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
We have seen parrots eating the seeds of gulmohar by opening the fruits. We have seen crows, squirals, making nest on it. Many birds like tailer bird, maina feeding on insects on it.

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:47:26 +0530
To: promila chaturvedi<thegardener...@gmail.com>
Cc: Gurcharan Singh<sing...@gmail.com>; Nudrat<nudrat.cat@gmail.com>; efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:36787] Re: Gulmohar Tree

Anand Kumar Bhatt

2 Jun 2010, 8:16:37 am02/06/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
My comment was only for nesting/roosting .
ak

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM, <formp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I think I have written parrots and squirals too. And parrots eating the pods.
Let me see if I have the photo I will send.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:35:58 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:36887] Re: Gulmohar Tree

promila chaturvedi

2 Jun 2010, 9:00:25 am02/06/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Yes, birds do not love it  nor do insects.
Promila

Bhatt Sweta

2 Jun 2010, 9:08:47 am02/06/10
to promila chaturvedi, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
One of the things i always look forward during summers is the orange blossoms of Delonix...
They are feast to eyes!!

Yazdy Palia

2 Jun 2010, 9:50:42 am02/06/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Dear Friends,
Come to think of it, I have never seen any birds nesting on it too. I
think because of the nature of the tree. I think that it lacks
crisscrossing branches for the birds to build a nest on it. The
branches are mostly lateral and are heavy and long. The leaves are so
small that it is not much of a shade, moreover, it gets blown away in
strong brease. However very large trees with cavities offer shelter to
birds like robin Magpie also to flying squirrels. Dry large branches
give shelter to woodpeckers and may be parrots too , birds create a
hole in the dead wood.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Anand Kumar Bhatt

Anand Kumar Bhatt

15 Oct 2010, 3:00:30 am15/10/10
to Yazdy Palia, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
To add further it is a brittle tree and the it is not a long lived tree, so any local body should  not waste its energy on it, in spite of its lovely blooms.
ak
(A NEW BLOG HAS BEEN ADDED ON 3 SEPT 2010.)

mani nair

15 Oct 2010, 3:26:47 am15/10/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Yazdy Palia, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Yes, I agree with AKB.  We should plant indegenous trees like Banyan, Peepul, mango, jambul, neem which all are long lived, birds and animal friendly, beautiful and got medicinal properties.

Regards,

Mani.

Yazdy Palia

15 Oct 2010, 7:29:43 am15/10/10
to mani nair, Anand Kumar Bhatt, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Mani Ji, It does live long but it has many disadvantages, first of all
large surface roots, coming in the way of foundations of buildings, in
a garden the roots spread to such distances that it takes away the
fertilizers meant for other cash crops. However, a study needs made
about any rhizobiums that it may be nurturing which may fertilize the
soil. Remember it is a legume.
Regards
Yazdy.

promila chaturvedi

15 Oct 2010, 9:37:06 am15/10/10
to Yazdy Palia, mani nair, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Yazdi Ji,
In a garden, the size and species are selected according to the size/ use of a garden. Usually in a home garden, which are small in size, big trees are not planted.
Promila

Padmini Raghavan

15 Oct 2010, 11:43:16 am15/10/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
I have seen a Coppersmith barbet nesting in a hole made in a Gul Mohur in Secunderabad in the 1960s.
 The Coppersmiths also always chose this tree to perch on and sing while swinging their heads from side to side, maybe because it was the tallest tree in the area. In fact, the monotonous ""kook-kook" of the Coppersmith
brings back the memory of the blazingly hot summer afternoons there.

 Here are  my pics  of a display of colour this summer at Chennai.
Rgds,
Padmini Raghavan.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whites Rd etc. 057.jpg
Whites Rd etc. 056.jpg
Whites Rd etc. 055.jpg

Yazdy Palia

15 Oct 2010, 1:57:14 pm15/10/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Anand Kumar Bhatt, promila chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Besides birds, I have seen the flying squirrel nesting in very tall
Gulmohar where you have some large cavities.
Regards
Yazdy.