Bergera named for / derived from ?

Dinesh Valke

Jun 6, 2010, 11:19:53 AM6/6/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Help me with knowing etymology of the generic name Bergera ... in context of Bergera koenigii

And:
Which is the current name: Bergera koenigii OR Murraya koenigii ?

Bergera koenigii ... at NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?7011

Murraya koenigii ... eFlora:
... Flora of China ... http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200012463
... Flora of Pakistan ... http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200012463
... Annotated Checklist of the Flowering Plants of Nepal ... http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=110&taxon_id=200012463
... and many more sites.

Regards.

tanay bose

Jun 6, 2010, 11:38:28 AM6/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji
I hope Bergera koenigii, the floras which all are listed are quite old and never revised. Not sure about the etymology!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Muthu Karthick

Jun 7, 2010, 2:30:50 AM6/7/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Am very sure that Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng. is the latest accepted nomenclature.

Lets wait for other experts to comment on the etymology; specially Nivithaji.
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2010, 2:46:51 AM6/20/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Tabish

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“I hope Bergera koenigii, the floras which all are listed are quite old and never revised. Not sure about the etymology!!
Tanay”

“Am very sure that Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng. is the latest accepted nomenclature.

Lets wait for other experts to comment on the etymology; specially Nivithaji.” from Muthu ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 5:17:54 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
I think Bergera is the basionym. It has to be based on the name of
some person. BERGER is an English surname.
Pankaj