Chimmony's gift of bounty - Helicteres isora plant

Skip to the first unread message

raghu ananth

22-Oct-2011, 8:44:02 am22/10/11
to indiantreepix
Chimmony's gift of bounty - Helicteres isora plant
8 Oct 2011 12:54PM

The beautiful Helicteres isora plants delight with their omnipresence in the Chimmony forest (Kerala). At some stretches, they almost form a border along the forest trail.

Kuttan, a Malaya tribal, who was our chef and later guide! He knew the names of almost all of the trees when we went for a trek inside the forest, he kept saying “This is Yedambiri.”

And look carefully - don't they look like the miniature of a bird, perhaps a red bird with a long neck - say perhaps a red ibis, a flamingo or a scarlet Ibis.

eflora link - beautiful plant pictures, posted by Garg ji.
https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1cca6f70f34af9dc/9acaac065af9897e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=red+ibis+raghu#9acaac065af9897e

http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/East-Indian%20Screw%20Tree.html

8 Oct 2011 12:54PM
Chimmony forest, Thrissur District, Kerala state
Shrub, Height-6-8ft, Forest, leaf size-12cms approx.
Vernacular-Yedambiri (Malayalam),

Regards
Raghu Ananth

DSCN0565 Flower.jpg