Saplings of Devdaru

Nudrat Sayed

Feb 2, 2010, 2:50:15 AM2/2/10
to indiantreepix
Hello,

I tried answering directly to the post on Devadaru but couldnt make out how to attach pictures to my reply hence i am posting my reply seperately. Attached are pictures of saplings of Cedrus deodara. These are authenticated ones as they were bought from Forest nursery in HP for my afforestation project

--
Regards
Dr. Sayed Nudrat Zawar

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Feb 2, 2010, 3:52:29 AM2/2/10
to efloraofindia
Great work Dr. Nudrat. I have heard about your afforestation drive in
Himachal Pradesh. You know some people have been against plantation of
Deodara, instead they recommend Quercus. May I know your views on the
same.
By the way, who do Deodara saplings vary in colour?
Regards
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Feb 2, 2010, 11:58:52 PM2/2/10
to Nudrat Sayed, indiantreepix, Devi Nair
Some feedback & assistance required:
"Thank you, Nudrat'ji, Garg'ji.
Are these saplings available in Delhi? Also, would they grow in the Western ghats?
Regards,
Devi."

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

J.M. Garg

Feb 3, 2010, 12:12:04 AM2/3/10
to Nudrat Sayed, indiantreepix, Devi Nair
A reply:
"Hello,
I dont know about availability of the saplings at Delhi. I dont think Deodar will grow in Western Ghats cos in Himachal itself Deodar are found beyond 2000 meters and their population is dwindling. i have been trying to grow Deodar in Himachal itself however havnt had much success. You can however try. " from Nudrat ji.

Feb 3, 2010, 1:42:51 AM2/3/10
to J.M. Garg, Nudrat Sayed, indiantreepix, Devi Nair
Regarding growing Deodars in the WG, isn't it more natural to let the native/indigenous (pls choose correct term) species grow? Secondly, I wish Nudrat ji luck with his attempt in growing Deodars, it is heartening to see people like him trying to do so.
Just my two bits :)

regards,
~ jai

Devi

Feb 3, 2010, 3:01:23 AM2/3/10
to efloraofindia
I fully agree it's better to allow the local species to grow. My
curiousity stems from a small booklet I have [ printed in Kerala]
where among other trees they have listed Devadaru as one of the good
trees to plant in the house compound. Maybe it's the local name for
some other tree. The botanical name is not given, just Devadaru.

Wishing you all success in your conservation efforts, Nudrat'ji.

Devi

On Feb 3, 11:42 am, J <j4k4e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding growing Deodars in the WG, isn't it more natural to let the
> native/indigenous (pls choose correct term) species grow? Secondly, I wish
> Nudrat ji luck with his attempt in growing Deodars, it is heartening to see
> people like him trying to do so.
> Just my two bits :)
>
> regards,
> ~ jai
>

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A reply:
> > "Hello,
> > I dont know about availability of the saplings at Delhi. I dont think
> > Deodar will grow in Western Ghats cos in Himachal itself Deodar are found
> > beyond 2000 meters and their population is dwindling. i have been trying to
> > grow Deodar in Himachal itself however havnt had much success. You can
> > however try. " from Nudrat ji.
>

> >   On 3 February 2010 10:28, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Some feedback & assistance required:
> >>  "Thank you, Nudrat'ji, Garg'ji.
> >> Are these saplings available in Delhi? Also, would they grow in the
> >> Western ghats?
> >> Regards,
> >> Devi."

> >>  --
> >> With regards,

> >> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> >> 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> >> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
> >> Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
> >>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> >> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group-
> >> Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>
> > --
> > With regards,

> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
> > Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> > For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>
> > --

> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Nudrat

Feb 3, 2010, 4:08:50 AM2/3/10
to efloraofindia
Hello

Thank you so much Dr. Pankaj for your good wishes. People prefer
Quercus to Deodar because Quercus yields fodder and has better
survival and adaptibility. Whereas Deodar cannot be used as fodder. It
is also a slow grower. The population of Deodar is on a decline as the
environment effects these plants. I had a discussion with people in HP
and they told me that Deodar no longer attains the girth they used to
20 yrs ago.

As for variation in colour so i dont think there is any. As far as my
pics are concerned, the colour might seem different but it is purely
light effect and nothing else.

Devi

Feb 3, 2010, 7:29:02 AM2/3/10
to efloraofindia
"The Useful Plants of India" {a CSIR Publication] gives two listings
for Devadaru/Devataru. One is Cedrus Deodara and the other is
Erythroxylum monogynum [ Red cedar, Bastard Sandal]. The leaves are
said to be edible and the oil resembling the fragrance of Sandalwood.
Since the Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam names given for this is
Devadaru, I guess this must be the Devadaru of the South.

Would anyone have more details of this tree?

Regards,
Devi.

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 5, 2010, 1:02:24 AM2/5/10
to Devi, efloraofindia
Hi,

This Deodar sapling has preferred this habitat - a dead trunk!
Photographed at Shimla in Aug 2007.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore
cedrus deodara.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Feb 6, 2010, 6:00:30 PM2/6/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Greetings--

 Interesting observation regarding the girth of Cedrus deodara. Here in Southern California, USA, I have noticed that the same is true for Monterey Pine (Pinus radiata), native to California but about 100km north of my location. When I was young, this species was used widely as a landscape tree, and it regularly attained heights of over 20m very rapidly. Nowadays, it is lucky to attain heights of half that, and with considerable difficulty. I'm not certain the reasons. I used to think it was air pollution-related, but air quality has improved considerably in the LA Basin due to pollution controls implemented since the mid 1970's. I suspect that global warming has had some impact, though I have no data to prove it.

 Curiously, Cedrus deodara still thrives here, but is rarely planted anymore because its large size is difficult to accommodate on small lots.

Regards--
Ken Greby.