Ipomoea muricata from Pench 21209 – NSD 114

22 views
Skip to first unread message

Nayan Singh

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 11:39:41 PM12/1/09
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com

Friends

this climber is from Pench

photo taken on 25-9-06

I think it is Ipomoea muricata from Convolvulaceae,

But not very sure

Experts please confirm it or id otherwise

Thanks

Nayan

..............................


 
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100


The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
I muricata.jpg
I muricata 1.jpg
I muricata 2.jpg

Vijayasankar Raman

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 12:10:14 AM12/2/09
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Dear sir, everything fine except flower colour. The actual (blue) color doesn't come in the picture when u shoot in full sun (of course i used a small digital camera with auto mode). I am attaching some pics of Ipomoea muricata shot at Bangalore last month.

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "indiantreepix" group.
To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.



--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore
ipomoea muricata_1.jpg
ipomoea muricata_2.jpg
ipomoea muricata_3.jpg

Nayan Singh

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 2:56:31 AM12/2/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Dear Vijaysankar ji
thanks a lot for confirmation
Nayan.
................... 
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100



From: Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.b...@gmail.com>
To: Nayan Singh <ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in>
Cc: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>; WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 2 December, 2009 10:40:14 AM
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:24472] Ipomoea muricata from Pench 21209 – NSD 114

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 3:25:43 AM12/2/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Vijaysankar,

I feel that Nayanji's plant is I. muricata (L.) Jacq. syn I. turbinata
Lag. Pls note the sepals are awned and the corolla is salver shaped.
In your plant the sepals are not awned and the corolla is funnel
shaped. Another character that can not be seen in your plant is
'peduncle thickened in fruit' (edible) which can be seen in Nayanji's
plant. The difference in the corollas is also evident. I have
identified your plant as I. indica (Burm. f.) Merr. in my book. Would
you please comment on this? Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar
On Dec 2, 10:10 am, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear sir, everything fine except flower colour. The actual (blue) color
> doesn't come in the picture when u shoot in full sun (of course i used a
> small digital camera with auto mode). I am attaching some pics of Ipomoea
> muricata shot at Bangalore last month.
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Friends
>
> > this climber is from Pench
>
> > photo taken on 25-9-06
>
> > I think it is Ipomoea muricata from Convolvulaceae,
>
> > But not very sure
>
> > Experts please confirm it or id otherwise
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Nayan
>
> > ..............................
>
> > N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> > Chief Conservator of Forests
> > and Field Director
> > Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
> > M.P.
> > 09424792100
>
> > ------------------------------
> > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>
> > .
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "indiantreepix" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog­legroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> With regards
>
> R. Vijayasankar
> FRLHT, Bangalore
>
>  ipomoea muricata_1.jpg
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  ipomoea muricata_2.jpg
> 129KViewDownload
>
>  ipomoea muricata_3.jpg
> 86KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 3:28:09 AM12/2/09
to indiantreepix
....Another difference is I. turbinata flowers open at evening and the
I. indica open at morning. Both plants have muricate and purplish
stems. Rgds
Shrikant Ingalhalikar

On Dec 2, 10:10 am, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear sir, everything fine except flower colour. The actual (blue) color
> doesn't come in the picture when u shoot in full sun (of course i used a
> small digital camera with auto mode). I am attaching some pics of Ipomoea
> muricata shot at Bangalore last month.
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Friends
>
> > this climber is from Pench
>
> > photo taken on 25-9-06
>
> > I think it is Ipomoea muricata from Convolvulaceae,
>
> > But not very sure
>
> > Experts please confirm it or id otherwise
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Nayan
>
> > ..............................
>
> > N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> > Chief Conservator of Forests
> > and Field Director
> > Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
> > M.P.
> > 09424792100
>
> > ------------------------------
> > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>
> > .
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "indiantreepix" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog­legroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> With regards
>
> R. Vijayasankar
> FRLHT, Bangalore
>

Vijayasankar Raman

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 4:22:34 AM12/2/09
to shrikant ingalhalikar, indiantreepix
Dear Shrikant ji, thanks a lot for the clarifications. 

I identified my plant as I. muricata because of its muricate stems and simple/entire leaves. Floras (e.g. Matthew's) say the leaves of I. indica are 3-lobed which is not the case here. And the picture of I. turbinata in your book is matching to the flowers of my plant (sorry i don't have vol.2 of your book to see your photo of I. indica). I think the fruits of my plant also had thickened pedicel. However, I shall take pictures of fruits from the same plant and post them for further confirmation. Thank you once again.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.


shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 4:44:36 AM12/2/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Vijaysankar,

I have corrected the picture on page 87 FOS Vol. 1 for I. turbinata on
realising the correct ID. I will arrange to send you the correction
sheet so that confusions can be averted. The new picture matches with
Nayanji's plant. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar

On Dec 2, 2:22 pm, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
> FRLHT, Bangalore- Hide quoted text -

Vijayasankar Raman

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 4:54:52 AM12/2/09
to shrikant ingalhalikar, indiantreepix
Pl. arrange to send me the pages of both the spp., will be of much helpful.
Thanks.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.


J.M. Garg

unread,
Dec 14, 2010, 12:24:23 AM12/14/10
to Vijayasankar Raman, shrikant ingalhalikar, indiantreepix, Ron_Convolvulaceae, Nayan Singh
A feedback from Ron ji under thread (https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b5a52dbb409c032c?hl=en#):
Nayan Singh = I.muricata
Vijayasankar Raman = Ipomoea parasitica 
for  this thread: https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6a007613d2aadfe8?hl=en#
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise): http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them for free as per liberal licensing conditions attached with each image.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1465 members & 56,400 messages on 9/12/10 & with a database of around 4350 species on 15/11/10)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages