Flower for Id- Bengal

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 20, 2010, 3:16:11 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
taken a shot of this lovely pink flower in a village near Kolkata.
what flower is this?

regards
Shantanu : )
wild flower3.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 20, 2010, 3:19:03 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
Antigonon leptopus.

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=56211

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

Sep 20, 2010, 3:43:20 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the ID of this flower...Pankaj (Oudhia) ji.

the images of this species in your album are mindblowing

wud love to know more about this lovely plant....

regards
Shantanu : )

On Sep 21, 12:19 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Antigonon leptopus.
>
> http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=56211
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Shantanu Bhattacharya
> <shnt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > taken a shot of this lovely pink flower in a village near Kolkata.
> > what flower is this?
>
> > regards
> > Shantanu : )- Hide quoted text -

tanay bose

Sep 20, 2010, 10:36:04 PM9/20/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Antigonon leptopus a Polygonaceae member, many people have a wrong idea that it is the only Polygonaceae member without ochcreate stipule but truely it has stipule but it is caducous.
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Sep 21, 2010, 5:02:56 AM9/21/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Shantanu ji, nice photo.  I am sending a photo of the same flower taken in Panaji, Goa.

Regards,
Mani.
flowgoa.jpg

promila chaturvedi

Sep 21, 2010, 8:37:17 AM9/21/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
This creeper is also known as Coral Creeper. It is from South America.
Promila

Kenneth Greby

Sep 21, 2010, 9:30:46 AM9/21/10
to promila chaturvedi, mani nair, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
It is actually native to Mexico (North America). It is a high-risk invasive species where adapted; use with extreme caution in environmentally-sensitive areas.
http://www.hear.org/pier/species/antigonon_leptopus.htm

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 21, 2010, 9:58:45 AM9/21/10
to Kenneth Greby, promila chaturvedi, mani nair, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Highly invasive. Generally found in old ruins and abandoned houses. The popular belief is that it is ominous.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 21, 2010, 1:17:28 PM9/21/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Mani ji...for sharing the lovely pic of Antigonon leptopus.

Although its an invasive species. this plant is rarely seen in and aound Kolkata....
I just got one plant during my birdwatching trip to Narendrapur in the outskirts of the city.

regards
Shantanu : )