Azadirachta indica syn. Melia azadirachta 'निंबारा'

Swagat

Mar 8, 2010, 6:47:34 AM3/8/10
to indiantreepix

'Azadirachta indica' syn. 'Melia azadirachta' is called 'Nimbara' 'निंबारा' in Marathi.

Date/Time- 01st March 2010, 11.40 a.m.

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  On the way from Tonrna Fort to Madheghat, Tahasil-Velhe, Dist. Pune, Maharashtra  तोरणा किल्‍ला ते मढेघाट या वाटेवर, ता.- वेल्‍हा, जि.- पुणे, महाराष्‍ट्र
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Tree
Height/Length-

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

010310-Torana-Swagat1.jpg
010310-Torana-Swagat2.jpg
010310-Torana-Swagat3.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 8, 2010, 8:07:29 AM3/8/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
Not Azadirachta, Swagat ji, the leaves are bipinnate
Could be Melia azedarach

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

promila chaturvedi

Mar 10, 2010, 8:46:15 AM3/10/10
to swaga...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, it is not Azadirachta indica. It is melia azedarach.
Promila

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:17:34 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:29116] Azadirachta indica syn. Melia azadirachta 'निंबारा'
From: swaga...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

IPL - III and all the controversies Drag n’ drop

Dinesh Valke

Mar 10, 2010, 9:01:18 AM3/10/10
to promila chaturvedi, swaga...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
... to me the flowers and leaves of Melia azedarach look different from what Swagat ji has posted.
Regards.

Satish Phadke

Mar 10, 2010, 9:10:11 AM3/10/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
The tree over all looks like Melia azadirachta 'निम्बारा ' and not Azadirachta indica 'कडुलिंब '
The close up of the flowers would have helped. The stamenal tube is Violet in the former where as it is white in case of latter. You can search my earlier images. The fruits here definitely look like Melia azadirachta and not  Azadirachta indica ( लिम्बोण्या)
Attaching my picture of Melia azadirachta

2010/3/8 Swagat <swaga...@gmail.com>

--
Melia A3.jpg

Satish Phadke

Mar 10, 2010, 9:12:44 AM3/10/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix Indian
In "पु. ल. देशपांडे उद्यान" on Sinhagad road A lot of these trees have been planted on Western boundary
Dr Phadke

2010/3/8 Swagat <swaga...@gmail.com>

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2010, 9:47:11 AM3/10/10
to Satish Phadke, Swagat, indiantreepix Indian
Satish ji
Melia azadirachta and Azadirachta indica are same, latter being the correct name now. The plant uploaded by you is clearly Melia azedarach with bipinnate leaves and more importantly mauve coloured flowers. Former is known as neem and latter Darek (Hindi), Mahanim or Gora neem. The plant uploaded by Swagat seems to have bipinnate leaves and fruits which resemble Melia azedarach, but after I had second look at the plant, it has whitish flowers (like neem) but much more denser. It may turn out to be none of these two species. The margin of leaflets also suggests that.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Mar 10, 2010, 9:53:37 AM3/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Swagat, indiantreepix Indian
... most probably Garuga pinnata ... commonly known as: grey downy balsam • Assamese: পমা pama • Bengali: jum, কপিল kapila • Garo: dumi • Gujarati: કાકેઢ kaked, ખુસિંબ khusimb • Hindi: खरपात kharpat • Kannada: ಅರನೆಲ್ಲಿ aranelli, ಬಿಳಿಗಡ್ಡೆ biligadde, ಕಾಷ್ಠನೆಲ್ಲಿ kaashthanelli • Konkani: कुडक kudak • Malayalam: അണ്ണകാര annakaara, കാട്ടുനെല്ലി kaattunelli • Marathi: काकड kakad, कणगर kanagar • Mizo: bungbu tuairam • Nepalese: दबदबे dabdabe • Oriya: kekadogatcho • Sanskrit: कर्णिकारः karnikarha, किङ्किरातः kinikirath • Sikkimese: dapdapay • Tamil: அருநெல்லி arunelli, கருவேம்பு karuvempu • Telugu: గరుగ garuga, కొండ వేప konda vepa

Please wait for comment(s).

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 10, 2010, 10:20:39 AM3/10/10
to efloraofindia
Nimbara is correct but it is Melia dubia (syn composita). Regards,
Shrikant

On Mar 8, 4:47 pm, Swagat <swagat1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> **
> **
> **
> *'Azadirachta indica' **syn.* *'Melia azadirachta' *is called
> *'Nimbara'* *'निंबारा'
> *in Marathi.
> **
>
> *Date/Time- *01st March 2010, 11.40 a.m.
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  *On the way from Tonrna Fort to Madheghat,

> Tahasil-Velhe, Dist. Pune, Maharashtra  तोरणा किल्‍ला ते मढेघाट या वाटेवर,
> ता.- वेल्‍हा, जि.- पुणे, महाराष्‍ट्र

> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- *Wild
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *Tree
> *Height/Length-
>  *
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-
>   *
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-
>   *
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

> Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

>  *
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
> **
> **

> Regards,
>
> ~Swagat
> 9223217568 / 9422317979

> **

> --
> 'I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
> do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.' - Helen
> Keller
>

>  010310-Torana-Swagat1.jpg
> 170KViewDownload
>
>  010310-Torana-Swagat2.jpg
> 190KViewDownload
>
>  010310-Torana-Swagat3.jpg
> 135KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2010, 10:32:09 AM3/10/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji
You seem to have found the correct identity. Leaves are clearly bipinnate and white flowers have a greenish tinge, so it can't be Guruga pinnata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vasant Barve

Mar 10, 2010, 12:16:11 PM3/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
This not Kadu nimb or bakana nimb The flowers are whitish and leaves are very light green.
Vasant Barve

2010/3/10 Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>

--
(*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

Satish Phadke

Mar 10, 2010, 12:54:48 PM3/10/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks Shrikant ji
I was wondering about the colour of flower and leaf pattern.
I have yet to see this plant.
Swagat ji a nice find.
Melia dubia has been labelled in FFOS as ( कडू खजूर )
Melia azadirachta as बकाणा निंब
Dr Phadke Satish

Swagat

Mar 10, 2010, 11:21:50 PM3/10/10
to Satish Phadke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Shrikant ji,

I also thanks Satish ji, Vasant ji, Gurcharan ji, Dinesh ji and Promila ji.

now I can say it 'Melia dubia' is called 'Nimbara' 'निंबारा' in Marathi.

Regrds,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

Vasant Barve

Mar 10, 2010, 11:25:27 PM3/10/10
to Satish Phadke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Please throw light on Bakan the neem with try-pinnate dark green leaves. I have not seen it flowering. The propagation is by root shoot as in Akash neem / Indian cork tree.

Vasant Barve
============================

promila chaturvedi

Mar 19, 2010, 5:10:29 AM3/19/10
to le...@rediffmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guru Charan Ji, Shrikant ji for correcting me. It is indeed Melia dubia, not Melia azadirach.
Promila

> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:20:39 -0800
> Subject: [efloraofindia:29374] Re: Azadirachta indica syn. Melia azadirachta 'निंबारा'
> From: le...@rediffmail.com
> To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Satish Phadke

Mar 30, 2010, 3:15:54 AM3/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix Indian
For many days I was wondering why you had said that "Melia azadirachta and Azadirachta indica are same" On Careful searching I understood my mistake.
Your sentence is absolutely correct.
The spelling of the other plant with Lilac staminal tube is in fact Melia azedarach L.and not Melia azadirachta which may be many of us were believing like me.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 3:23:38 AM3/30/10
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix Indian
And if I am not wrong Azadirachta is originated from "Azad Darakht" आजाद दरख्त

 पंकज अवधिया

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 4:08:32 AM3/30/10
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Satish ji,

Darkht means Big tree in Urdu.

Pankaj Oudhia

2010/3/30 Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>
What does that दरख्त mean?

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 30, 2010, 4:21:11 AM3/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji
You are right about "Azad Darakht". This is what our Chief Conservator of Forests in J & K had informed us 40 years back. But yes, a small modification Azad means free and not big. The plant grows freely, and would come up though self sowing and no plantation drives are needed. I hope you will agree.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 4:28:46 AM3/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurucharan ji,

I said Azad means free and Darakht means Big Tree (in Urdu).

Are you aware of more examples like it?

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 30, 2010, 5:12:53 AM3/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji
I would convey when ever I would recollect any. Such things really make interactions interesting. Just to share one or two:
1. I was collecting in Gulmarg forest in Kashmir nearly 38 years back when a local came to me saying that there is a plant known as sarap (snake in kashmiri) buti (plant) under which snake lives and if you pluck that plant the snake would bite. He was taken aback  when I opened my bag to show him several plants of Arisaema. And then I told him that it is known as sarap buti (Cobra plant) because the spathe resembles a cobra hood and not that snake lives under it.
2. Second time around same years I was collecting weeds of saffron fields, and had collected several plants of Iris reticulata (which grows only in saffron fields of Pampore in Kashmir, and also in persia) when the saffron grower started accusing me that I had stolen saffron from his field. I tried to convince him that it was not saffron (resemble saffron but flowers are much different and appear in March, whereas saffron flowers in October), but in vain, but it convinced me that this Iris which resembles saffron in leaves as well as the corm like bulbs, would have come with saffron from Persia, which is considered as secondary source of origin of Kashmir saffron. The saffron was originally introduced from France, but it is believed that all corms of saffron were eaten by local people during severe famine in Kashmir, and saffron now in Kashmir was later introduced from Persia. This episode with saffron grower earned me a publication on ''Origin of Kashmir saffron" supported by Iris reticulata and a few more weeds which grow in Persia and Saffron fields of Kashmir and not in Europe.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 6:44:29 AM3/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurucharan ji for sharing valuable experience. I still dream to live such life and contribute to the science in this way. Thanks again.

regards

Satish Phadke

Mar 30, 2010, 10:30:25 AM3/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji and Gurcharan ji
Interesting and useful info.
Dr Phadke