Clarification for I. hirsuta Baker (non Linn., 1753)

1 view

J.M. Garg

Sep 5, 2009, 11:38:40 PM9/5/09
to indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Hi, Singh ji,

Quoting you as below:

"Consider these names in our databases

Indigofera astragalina                        Syn: I. hirsuta

The Plant names without author names are sometimes used in general purpose books and text books, not in taxonomic treatments or databases. Whenever these are used without author names, it is understood that there is only one species by that name, or the validly published one. If we apply this logic our names would be wriiten as under:

Indigofera astragalina DC., 1825          Syn: I. hirsuta Linn., 1753

In all these cases the synonym is of earlier date, and should be used as correct name and not as synonym. We are using them as synonyms because they were named as accepted names in Hooker's Flora of British India, and other Indian Floras, but the indian material was  subsequently found to be different species. The citations would be meaningful if properly cited as under:

Indigofera astragalina DC., 1825          Syn: I. hirsuta Baker (non Linn.,  1753)
................................"

Why do we write Syn: I. hirsuta Baker (non Linn.,1753)? Will you clarify how does Baker (non Linn.,1753) come up & what does it signify?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 12:40:22 AM9/6/09
to indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Reply from Singh ji:

"Well Garg ji

Indigofera hirsuta Linn. was originally described by Linnaeus. Baker was the author of the treatment of Indigofera in J. D. Hooker's Flora of British India, and he identified some specimens of Indigofera as I. hirsuta Linn.. It later turned out that  these specimens which we know as I. hirsuta Linn. actually belong to I. astragalina. We can't say Linnaeus was wrong, his species is distinct and still valid, but we can definitely say that species which was identified by Baker as I. hirsuta is really I. astragalina. In this way we can relate to all Indian floras who have described this plant as I. hirsuta following Baker, since I. hirsuta Linn. does not grow in India.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45"
Thanks, Singh ji. It is certainly good learning in a more practical way.