re:raindrops

vivekmail

Sep 16, 2008, 3:12:58 AM9/16/08
to Indiantreepix
raindrops on leaves of sitaphal
at aurangabad, 14th september 08
dewdrops.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2008, 4:03:14 AM9/16/08
to vivekmail, Indiantreepix
Details from Indiantreepix Database:
Annona squamosa  Annonaceae Custard-apple, sugar-apple, sweetsop, sitaphal or Sita's fruit, shareefah, aataa  Flowering on 19/4/08- P.O.Tala, Distt Umariya, M.P. India- Satyendra ji. Flowering at Dive Agar, Tal Shrivardhan, Maharashtra- Rajendra Shinde ji- 25/4/08. Custard-apple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia custard apple - indiantreepix | Google Groups Annona squamosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:42 PM, vivekmail <vvgha...@dataone.in> wrote:
raindrops on leaves of sitaphal
at aurangabad, 14th september 08

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Mahendra Prasad

Sep 16, 2008, 4:38:01 AM9/16/08
to vivekmail, J.M. Garg, Indiantreepix
Referring to Annona squamosa in Wikipedia, I came across the German name for it, Rahmapfel, very similar sounding to Ramphal, another name for sister fruit of A. squamosa ( Sitaphal ).

--- On Tue, 16/9/08, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or your...@rocketmail.com. Click here.

nabha meghani

Sep 18, 2008, 7:32:11 AM9/18/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, vivekmail, J.M. Garg, Indiantreepix
Hallo
Rahmapfel, Ramphal, interesting comparison. Rahm = cream, that is why it it called rahm+apfel.
Has squamosa anything to do with samosa? Oh, my mouth waters.
Nalini

sibda...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 1:54:23 PM9/18/08
to indiantreepix
Ramphal and Sita phal do not belong to the same species. Ramphal is
Annona reticulata L. ( Ata- in Bengali), whereas Sitaphal is A.
squamosa (Nona in Bengali). We had earlier some discussions on this
subject (May 2008). I wondered how Ata got the name Ramphal. It may be
presumed it got the name from Rahmapfel (Creamy apple- as the pulp is
really creamy). It might have come from the works of some German or
Dutch Botanists , many of them were working in India in the
Ninenteenth Century in partcular. Subsequently squamosa got the name
Sitaphal. Similarly A. cherimolia, a cultivated plant introduced from
S.America, got the name Lakshmanphal (sometimes also known as
Hanumanphal) and A. muricata (native of W.Indies, grown in Assam) is
known as Mamphal. Interestingly all of these species are native of S.
America or West Indies. Has any body the knowledge when they were
introduced in India?

On Sep 18, 4:32 pm, "nabha meghani" <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo
> Rahmapfel, Ramphal, interesting comparison. Rahm = cream, that is why it it called rahm+apfel.
> Has squamosa anything to do with samosa? Oh, my mouth waters.
> Nalini

Mahendra Prasad

Sep 19, 2008, 5:06:32 AM9/19/08
to indiantreepix, sibda...@gmail.com
Thanks for the info on the subject. I was aware that Ramphal & Sitaphal are different sps but from same genus, hence referred to as a sister fruit. But I was not sure of the exact Latin names. Thanks Sibdas ji.