Flora of Andaman 11- 311210-PKA2

Prashant awale

Dec 31, 2010, 5:43:55 AM12/31/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
 I had spotted this almost Football size bulb on a Mangrove tree  at Baratang (Andaman & Nicobar).

Date/Time: 22-12-2010 / 09:30AM
Location: Mangrove forest cover at Baratang
Habitat: Wild

regards
Prashant
IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 31, 2010, 6:12:35 AM12/31/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Great. I imagine, I have seen such bigger galls in mangrove only in
Bhitarkanika.
And I think, there are two different species of orchids too.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Dec 31, 2010, 10:02:28 AM12/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
nice size galls !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Katarina

Jan 15, 2011, 9:18:00 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
Is this not a Hydnophytum or Mymecodia? Antplants that grow
epiphytically and can become quite large. It seems like the shoots
growing out of the "ball" has the right shape on the leaves.

I have just returned from theAndamans but only saw Hydnophytum on
Mount Harriet.

Regards
Katarina
from Sweden, currently -23 below zero.

On 31 Dec 2010, 12:12, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great. I imagine, I have seen such bigger galls in mangrove only in
> Bhitarkanika.
> And I think, there are two different species of orchids too.
> Pankaj
>
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Friends,
> >  I had spotted this almost Football size bulb on a Mangrove tree  at
> > Baratang (Andaman& Nicobar).

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 30, 2011, 10:31:29 PM1/30/11
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, Katarina
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Is this not a Hydnophytum or Mymecodia? Antplants that grow
epiphytically and can become quite large. It seems like the shoots
growing out of the "ball" has the right shape on the leaves.

I have just returned from theAndamans but only saw Hydnophytum on
Mount Harriet.
......Katarina

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 17, 2011, 3:37:42 AM5/17/11
to efloraofindia
Katrina ji is right!

This is Hydnophytum formicarum of Rubiaceae. Popularly known as 'Ant
Plant'. (Myrmecodia tubers are spiky).

Recently I came across this plant in Vietnam where it is listed under
the threatened category. It is distributed from Andaman islands to S.
Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines and
Australia.

This plant is of interest to botanist and ecologists owing to the
symbiotic association of ants and the plant.

Regards,
Ritesh.

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2011, 5:42:08 AM5/19/11
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, katarina...@emg.umu.se, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com
A reply:
"Dear all,
Katarina is 100% correct. This is Hydnophytum formicarum (Rubiaceae) the famous ant plant. This plant mostly occurs in Mangrove trees but i have noticed them also in high altitude areas like Mount Harriet, Mount ford and Saddle peak in Andaman Islands. This is a very interesting plant having a bulb with numerous channels in it housing ant colonies. The ants in turn helps to protect herbivory to some extent but the main advantage to the plant if the excreta and other residues left but ant provides nutrition to the plant.
Thanks and regards,
Karthi"
Thanks, Dr.K. Karthigeyan
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 69,000 messages on 30/4/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Prashant awale

May 19, 2011, 9:19:27 AM5/19/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, katarina...@emg.umu.se, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com
Thanks Karthigeyan ji, Ritesh ji, Katarina ji for the ID.
Regards
Prashant