[efloraofindia:35670] NATIVE :: Arecaceae (palm family) » Caryota urens

Dinesh Valke

May 23, 2010, 6:03:59 AM5/23/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Arecaceae (palm family) » Caryota urens

kair-ee-OH-tuh or kar-RY-oh-tuh -- from the Greek karyon (nut)
UR-ens -- burning or stinging

commonly known as: bastard sago tree, fishtail palm, jaggery palm, toddy palm, wine palm • Hindi: बन खजूर ban-khajur, माड़ी mari • Kannada: ಬಯ್ನೆ bayne • Konkani: बिरलोमाड birlomaad • Malayalam: ചൂണ്ടപ്പന cuuntappana • Marathi: भेरली माड bherli-maad, सुरमाड sur-maad • Sanskrit: श्रीताल sritalah • Tamil: கூந்தற்பனை kuntaypanai, திப்பிலிப்பனை tippili-p-panai • Telugu: జిలుగు jeelugu

Native to: India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Malaysia; widely cultivated

 • NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?9290
 • Top Tropicals ... http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/caryota_urens.htm
 • Dave's Garden ... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56543/index.html
 • DDSA ... http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Views attached from:
... Vaghbil, Thane
... Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan

For more views: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Caryotaurens&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags&z=m

4019130266_a6fcca391c_b.jpg
4592505390_a8e689aac1_b.jpg
4019139176_cd78a3cd67_b.jpg
4018374867_d418cbc297_b.jpg
4019134218_c58501a9b8_b.jpg

Yazdy Palia

May 23, 2010, 6:35:04 AM5/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Hello Friends,
The ripe fruit of this palm causes some kind of temporary allergy.
Especially if after touching it, you get wet. Had a bad experience
when I was in my twenties.
Regards
Yazdy.

Satish Chile

May 23, 2010, 7:17:15 AM5/23/10
to Yazdy Palia, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Caryota urens in Bastar of Chhattisgarh state is known as Sulfy tree. A drink is extracted from the living plant which is called sulfy. This drink is also called Bastar Beer by the educated people.
Satish

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 7:55:05 AM5/23/10
to Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I am attaching link for the medicinal as well as the allergy related matter as said my Yazdy Ji

2. Allergy http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/PALM.html (PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO GET THE NAME FROM THE LIST)

Regards
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 9:05:20 AM5/23/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Nice set of Photos Dinesh Ji

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Pankaj Oudhia

May 23, 2010, 9:58:21 AM5/23/10
to efloraofindia

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 1:41:48 PM5/23/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia

Nice set of photos pankaj Ji
Thanks for the links
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Prashant awale

May 23, 2010, 3:18:43 PM5/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Good set of photos Dinesh.
cheers
Prashant

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 24, 2010, 12:27:51 AM5/24/10
to Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
I spent very pleasant couple of years at Bastar. It is said that the tribal who has one or more plants of Salfi is rich and will not have any difficulty in getting a bride. The neera is both nutritious and intoxicating in the evening after it is fermented during the day. Once I drank a glass of salfi everyday for a week or so hearing of its beneficial qualities. . There was some allergic reaction it seems and I had acute pain in my calf muscles and knees. At first I did not care but when it recurred the second time, I gave up drinking salfi. It is a beautiful plant in the early years, though not so good to look at when it grows old.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 12:30:33 AM5/24/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the personal experience regarding the allergetic reaction this plant induces in human.
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Oudhia

May 24, 2010, 3:59:52 AM5/24/10
to efloraofindia
Once when I consumed it Anand ji, it was adulterated one. May be urea was present to increase the rate of fermentation. It resulted in over 12 loose motions. I called to Maharani Hospital, Jagdalpur. They simply said that once Sulfi is out of body the problem will be solved. After sometime the problem solved without any medicine.

When I discussed it with the Traditional Healers they simply laughed and said that one must know the "Art of Taking such drinks".

Sulfi is part of Traditional Healing and as medicine it is given to patients suffering from different diseases. For patients allergic to this drink the Healers have long list of herbs and herbal formulations to nullify its allergic effects.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Satish Chile

May 24, 2010, 5:10:47 AM5/24/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks to all Pankaj ji, Tanay ji, Prashant ji and Anand ji for sharing good links and information about C.urens.
Satish

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Pankaj Oudhia <pankaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good set of photos Dinesh.
cheers
Prashant

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Arecaceae (palm family) » Caryota urens

kair-ee-OH-tuh or kar-RY-oh-tuh -- from the Greek karyon (nut)
UR-ens -- burning or stinging

commonly known as: bastard sago tree, fishtail palm, jaggery palm, toddy palm, wine palm • Hindi: बन खजूर ban-khajur, माड़ी mari • Kannada: ಬಯ್ನೆ bayne • Konkani: बिरलोमाड birlomaad • Malayalam: ചൂണ്ടപ്പന cuuntappana • Marathi: भेरली माड bherli-maad, सुरमाड sur-maad • Sanskrit: श्रीताल sritalah • Tamil: கூந்தற்பனை kuntaypanai, திப்பிலிப்பனை tippili-p-panai • Telugu: జిలుగు jeelugu

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 7:54:06 AM5/24/10
to Satish Chile, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing another set of personal experience Pankaj ji, this link is really getting interesting .
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Madhuri Pejaver

May 24, 2010, 8:02:27 AM5/24/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
About Sulfi a lot of information is exchanged . but what i read in the name list was  one name as jaggary palm. I sthis the palm from which we get jaggary, which is famous from Bengal
 Nothing is talked about it. or is it a  different palm?
Madhuri

May 24, 2010, 9:43:44 AM5/24/10
to efloraofindia
Yes Tanay is right.

Many years back a patient having allergy contacted me. She was much frustrated as after much investment in hospitals,  the cause was still unknown. I decided to go for detailed discussion. When our discussion reached to Bengali Sweets, she informed that the taste of Gur used in the sweets is like the taste of heaven. She was taking the sweets every day without any break. I suggested her to stop its use up to one week.

Later I was informed that she was having allergy to Phoenix Gur and after stopping its consumption she was alright. It was very specific case. I am fond of Bengali Sweets and millions are also, but I never seen another patient like this.

Gur is prepared from Caryota also.

In Bastar, Caryota is in danger. Trees are dying due to unknown problem. Entomologists are claiming that it is due to insects, soil scientists are claiming that it is due to soil factor. Everyone is having own opinion. Thousands have been invested in the name of research with no result. Many years back I raised this issue through my articles.I tried to put the views and comments of Traditional Healers on this specific problem.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Dinesh Valke

May 24, 2010, 9:47:38 AM5/24/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Madhuri ji's interesting query lead me to surf with Palm Jaggery ...
1) reminds of the famous bollywood movie "Saudagar" ... never knew we get jaggery from palm (and that too more priced than that from sugarcane)
 ... http://environmenteducation-india.blogspot.com/2009/10/learn-all-about-date-palm-jaggery-with.html
2) The sago palm and coconut palm are also now tapped for producing jaggery in South India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery
3) best of reading on jaggery
 ... http://www.organicfacts.net/nutrition-facts/others/what-is-jaggery.html

Regards.

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 10:12:36 AM5/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Great Set Of information from Pankaj ji and Dinesh ji,
I will kindly request Pankaj Ji that if he can upload photos of the diseased tree then we can all see it , and will also help us to get hold of the symptoms ans if possible remedy

Tanay

Vijayadas D

May 24, 2010, 11:00:07 AM5/24/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Olatty - in Malayalam.
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Pankaj Oudhia

May 24, 2010, 1:53:08 PM5/24/10
to efloraofindia
The images are not in my database. I will try to take it during next visit in July.

In fact, I am searching link having pictures as well as news item on this specific problem in Google news but not getting it.

ICAR researchers are working on this specific problem.

Here is related article I have written many years back.

Bastar: The Heaven in Danger (New Comments)

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=1601&page=-2

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

May 24, 2010, 2:49:18 PM5/24/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for name in Malayalam. In Orissa it is known as Salap.

Few years back I was in Niyamgiri hill region of Orissa where Bauxite mining is proposed. Action Aid assigned me to visit the region for photography as well as Biodiversity study. Salap trees are present in large number in this biodiversity rich zone. Niyamgiri is rich in wild elephant population. I was informed that elephants like this species much. The natives suggested many species best for plantation in forest in order to keep wild elephants at bay. Salap is one of these species. I quoted it in my articles with reference to natives but as you know planners never give ear to native's suggestions. Today I was reading in local news papers that the authorities are constructing 16 feet towers to accomodate tens of families in time of attack by wild elephants. Unfortunately there is no ground level plan to plant Salap like trees.

VijayaDas ji, I am eager to know the medicinal uses of this tree in Kerala. In Chhattisgarh, its all parts are used in Traditional Healing even in complex schedules like this

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/nwork/set400.pdf

http://pankajoudhia.com/newwork.html

I am sorry if group members are getting bore from my monologue on Caryota.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2010, 12:44:10 AM5/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
... your experience is interesting and useful for at least some, the purpose is met !! ... thank you very much, Pankaj ji.
Regards.

tanay bose

May 25, 2010, 1:26:42 AM5/25/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with us. I will wait for your photos regarding the disease Pankaj Ji
Tanay

Madhuri Pejaver

May 25, 2010, 6:15:00 AM5/25/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Hey Dineshji
too good an information and very good links. Thank you to all Gurucharanji, tanay,Panj ji and you for taking so great interest in my quarry .
I am really proud to be the member of this group. Every one is so enthusiastic in helping others that the information just flows to you. An dnoboy has any show off of having great knowledge.
Actually with all the other works it becomes very difficult for me to remember all the generic and sps names.  I am not a hard core Botanist that too Taxanomist. Actually this branch of study i was not vey fond off, thats why i did not take Botany as my major subject.
What i enjoy are the beautiful photographs, the enthusiasum to identify the plant, to share al knowledge with others and the information you get. Especilly recently the names in all languages, origin of the name , medicinal uses, other uses , locations all are getting added and that is making the site more intersting.
I admire all of you.
But now the funny part is though Jagary is mainly done from date palm it does not carry the name as jaggary palm in the list send. while carriota had that name for which i had inquired.
madhuri

May 25, 2010, 8:26:22 AM5/25/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Madhuri Ji,
I was a splendid opportunity for the members of Eflora to learn that you are enjoying the interaction out here to its brim. Some threads out here turn out to be so interesting that it has a charm no less that a mystery story. A good example is this this thread where not only taxonomic information are being circulated among the members but personal experiences which are not available on any internet portals or websites. Hence over all we can say that Eflora is a place where we have a space to enrich our knowledge about plants if we are really craving for it.
Regards
Tanay

Rashida Atthar

May 25, 2010, 9:15:14 AM5/25/10
to tanay bose, Madhuri Pejaver, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia

Fro those interested in trying out the Palm Jaggery, One Palm Jaggery very dark brown almost black in colour  is sometimes  available in a store opposite Churchgate station.

regards,
Rashida.

formp...@yahoo.com

May 25, 2010, 9:18:32 AM5/25/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia
Good info too! Will rember.
What I had eaten was light coloured, with layers placed one above the other. Very tasty and sweet ofcourse.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:45:14 +0530
To: tanay bose<tanay...@gmail.com>
Cc: Madhuri Pejaver<formp...@yahoo.com>; Dinesh Valke<dinesh...@gmail.com>; Pankaj Oudhia<pankaj...@gmail.com>; efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:35954] NATIVE :: Arecaceae (palm family) » Caryota urens

Pardeshi S.

May 25, 2010, 9:47:04 AM5/25/10
to efloraofindia
Caryota urens is also called "Shanker ki Jatayen" for it long hanging
inflorescence.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On May 24, 6:43 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Tanay is right.
>
> Many years back a patient having allergy contacted me. She was much
> frustrated as after much investment in hospitals,  the cause was still
> unknown. I decided to go for detailed discussion. When our discussion
> reached to Bengali Sweets, she informed that the taste of Gur used in the
> sweets is like the taste of heaven. She was taking the sweets every day
> without any break. I suggested her to stop its use up to one week.
>
> Later I was informed that she was having allergy to Phoenix Gur and after
> stopping its consumption she was alright. It was very specific case. I am
> fond of Bengali Sweets and millions are also, but I never seen another
> patient like this.
>
> Gur is prepared from Caryota also.
>
> In Bastar, Caryota is in danger. Trees are dying due to unknown problem.
> Entomologists are claiming that it is due to insects, soil scientists are
> claiming that it is due to soil factor. Everyone is having own opinion.
> Thousands have been invested in the name of research with no result. Many
> years back I raised this issue through my articles.I tried to put the views
> and comments of Traditional Healers on this specific problem.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> http://www.pankajoudhia.com
>

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Madhuri ji,
> > In our Bengal we make Jaggery (Gur) from *Phoenix sylvestris *we also
> > drink the fresh juice of its some people also take the fermented juice known
> > as "Tari"
> > Regards
> > Tanay*
> > *
> > On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >> About Sulfi a lot of information is exchanged . but what i read in the
> >> name list was  one name as jaggary palm. I sthis the palm from which we get
> >> jaggary, which is famous from Bengal
> >>  Nothing is talked about it. or is it a  different palm?
> >> Madhuri
>
> >>  ------------------------------

Yazdy Palia

May 25, 2010, 10:18:09 AM5/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Hello friends,
In Kerala, people feed tame elephants on the fonds from this tree.
However, Pankaj ji, the idea of cultivating these trees in the forest
will not help because the elephants knock down these trees even before
they are fully grown. They not only love the fonds but also the tender
stem which you will find very tasty something like a half mature
coconut. I am not able to grow coconut because they frequent our place
daily and especially now a days as the jack fruits are getting ripe.
They knock down even my coconut trees.
I have allowed the locals to carry away as many jack fruits as they
like even after that there are still plenty and the elephants, the
malabar squirrels, the birds, the monkeys all enjoy it.
Regards
Yazdy.

tanay bose

May 25, 2010, 10:27:04 AM5/25/10
to Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Another Great experience , I really didn't knew this. This thread is getting Interesting day by day
Tanay

R. Vijayasankar

May 25, 2010, 10:27:52 AM5/25/10
to Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I am sure Tanay is tempted and will jumpstart to pick some Jack fruits from your place. Beware Tanay, pachyderms are plenty it seems!

Anyway planting these trees in the forest area will be a good idea and help elephants. So that they may less their visits to villages in search of food.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

May 25, 2010, 10:45:51 AM5/25/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Am I crazy Vijaya Ji I will never like to get myself between the living Ganesha and jack fruit or else what will happen everyone knows !! ha ha ha
Accha how about upper some pepper power on there nose so that they may run away or coat the fruit with the paste of red chili power
ha ha ha ha
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2010, 10:58:38 AM5/25/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Tanay Effect!!!!
The group is becoming more and more lively.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 25, 2010, 11:00:43 AM5/25/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
If C .V Raman can get a Noble Prize for "Raman Effect"
So do you think I can also with my " Tanay Effect"???
HA ha ha ha
Bad Joke
Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

May 25, 2010, 1:45:49 PM5/25/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Yazdy ji for sharing your experiences. Vijayashankar has got my point. If elephants get sufficient food in forest then why they will come to villages.

Tanay, Chili powder is not effective solution. I am not elephant expert but based on my experiences I have written this recently.

Please don’t irritate and provoke wild elephants through Chili Crackers like techniques

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/newwork75.html

(And Tanay instead of giving thanks after my every mail, please give it at Yazdy ji's farm after great party. Please add me in the list. ;)  )

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Yazdy Palia

May 25, 2010, 2:21:31 PM5/25/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Hello Tanay ji,
It is not that dangerous, only thing is not to get out after night. It
is very rare that you encounter them in the day. There are only two
occasions when I had the encounter during daylight hours, the first
time was at around 6 pm when they crossed the elephant protection
trench and there were three in my farm. The other was a juvenile,
hardly 7 year old with small about 1 ft tusks at 3 pm when I reached
within 12 ft of it. Being alert then saved my life.
You can have all the jack fruits in the day. Live and let live you know.
Regards
Yazdy.

formp...@yahoo.com

May 25, 2010, 3:25:00 PM5/25/10
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com, Pankaj Oudhia
R huma visits allowed to your place Yardzi ji? Will love it after concrete jungle of bombay
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

May 25, 2010, 9:38:49 PM5/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Pankaj ji,
Our site is getting richer with knowledge. Personal experiences add to kwoledge, not available anywhere as said by Tanay. More to it we donot know whether anytime we meet in life and even if we meet, will not havetime to talk all details about every incidence we have experienced. Now it is as if you hear about a plant and you know the history related to it all over the world.
Is this the purpose of wikkipedia?
I really thank all the moderators for allowing such conversational knowledge interactions.
Thank you Gargji for inviting me to join the group.
If you ask me a question today which thread do you remember which was discussed the most and remember by you? I may have to say all.
Have a nice day

From: Pankaj Oudhia <pankaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 01:09:09 +0530
To: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:36008] NATIVE :: Arecaceae (palm family) » Caryota urens

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 26, 2010, 12:03:20 AM5/26/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
P.S. Probably you had one too many!!
ak

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 26, 2010, 12:05:18 AM5/26/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I also planted a large number of sulfi plants in my official residence. I dont know whether my successors bothered with it.
ak

tanay bose

May 26, 2010, 1:23:23 AM5/26/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj ji,
It was a joke I will never try a red chili cracker on them , we people make constant effort to destroy their territory so they have no options left with them than to move into villages. I really love all animals.
This thread is really giving a lot of knowledge about animal instinct which was not known to a urban person like me.
A many many thanks to all.

Regards
Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

May 26, 2010, 1:23:32 AM5/26/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Thanks Anand ji for your comments. As mentioned earlier I consumed adulterated Sulfi which resulted in Loose motions. During student life I traveled Bastar extensively with Healers specially herb expert Shri Vishal Bharat. In almost every visit we consumed freshly collected Sulfi and enjoyed it.

I am still far from using alchohal in any form except in Homoeopathic drugs. At the same time I am vegetarian. Vegetarian for food not for medicine. I have documented the traditional knowledge about medicinal insects and mites and having largest number of publications on this aspect.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=649&page=-2

During surveys I have tasted hundreds of insects and mite remedies from Chapra (Oecophylla smaragdina) to Rani Keeda (Trombidium species). I take Cockroach many times in a year in form of Homoepathic drug Blatta. But still I am vegetarian.

I read Vodka, Jin and so many drinks in hotel menu but never tasted it but when I have to live with Healers I have to take a sip of Sulfi or Landa (Prepared from Rice) to give respect to them.

Its great to know that you have planted Sulfi in large number. Please locate it with the help of Google Earth.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

May 26, 2010, 1:55:43 AM5/26/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Anand ji, I visit to different parts of India for consultation work. During recent visit a herb grower of Karjat region showed interest in commercial plantation of Sulfi. He once visited to Bastar and now interested in Caryota farming. I am in process of developing its organic cultivation practices. In my state the Healers treat this plant with herbal extracts and leacahte many times during growth period. They claim that it enriches the plant with desired medicinal properties. I have documented this "Traditional Allelopathic Knowledge". Now based on it developing Agronomy of Sulfi.

Many years back Pune based herb company interested in commercial farming of Cissus quadrangularis asked about this species.

Sulfi is attacting interest of many these days.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia