2 pictures for you

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Nov 16, 2008, 3:19:03 AM11/16/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir

Photos of Tree/Plant taken Mizoram near Aizawl on 1.11.08
My observation is at end of the branch leaves are red in colour rest
of the branch it is green. Transformation between green and red I
could see a sinle leaf. that interested me

Same observation in the other plant with white and green leaves.
For ID please
--
With Warm Regards,

E.Thiruvengadam

Moblie 9987886892

You have been sent 2 pictures.

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0038-1.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0038-1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 16, 2008, 7:04:59 AM11/16/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Thiruvengadam ji,
Appears like Euphorbia pulcherrima (Poinsettia, Christmas flower, Mexican flame leaf, Christmas star, Winter rose).

Some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsettia

Euphorbia pulcherrima is a shrub or small tree, typically reaching a height of 0.6 to 4 m (2 to 16 ft). The plant bears dark green dentate leaves that measure 7 to 16 cm (3 to 6 inches) in length. The top leaves, known as bracts, are flaming red, pink, or white and are often mistaken as flowers. The actual flowers are grouped within the small yellow structures found in the center of each leaf bunch, which are called cyathia.

From Indiantreepix Database:
Euphorbia pulcherrima Euphorbiaceae Poinsettia, Christmas flower, Mexican flame leaf, Christmas star, Winter rose  On 16/3/08 at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal. Euphorbia pulcherrima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Poinsettia, Christmas flower (Euphorbia pulcherrima) - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Kenneth Greby

Nov 16, 2008, 8:43:12 AM11/16/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Greetings---

 The plant with the reddish bracts is indeed poinsettia, Euphorbia pulcherrima.

 The one with white bracts looks like a Mussaenda species, though I'm not sure which one.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

J.M. Garg

Nov 16, 2008, 8:51:38 AM11/16/08
to fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Thanks, Ken ji.
First picture appears like Mussaenda frondosa (Flag bush). See the links:http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=mussaenda+frondosa (pictures), http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59739/ (some details with pictures),

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

nabha meghani

Nov 17, 2008, 4:49:06 PM11/17/08
to J.M. Garg, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, Christmas star.
just before X'mas the flowershops are full with Christmas stars in tiny pots, in various colors. They don't survive normally in the house.
On Madeira-island there were big Shrubs. i will search the foto.
Regards
Nalini

haridasan

Nov 19, 2008, 2:37:02 AM11/19/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Thiru,
I am glad to see your pictures of Mussaenda and Poinsetia. Mussaend has the
petalloid sepal which is a modification. Siilarly in case of Poinsetia it is
the bract that you see as red leaves beneath the inflorescence. I must say
the pictures are ery nice.
You can perhaps interact with Prof. Lalramginglowa of Mizoram niversity for
on site support and discussion.
Regards,

K. Haridasan

Jan 13, 2009, 1:45:08 AM1/13/09
to .
Friends
   Are the two pictures and the picture given below of the same family ? This was my querry intially.
Unfortunately the forwarded email and the paper where I noted the ID was not found earlier

--
With Warm Regards,

      THIRU
(E.Thiruvengadam)

Mobile 9987886892
IMG_0008-1a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 13, 2009, 2:20:49 AM1/13/09
to indiantreepix
IMG_0038-1.JPG and IMG_0008-1a.jpg belong to same family
Euphorbiaceae, and the ID is Euphorbia pulcherrima
Thiru ji, refer to your message with subject line: for ID 120109ET59.
Regards.

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Jan 13, 2009, 4:14:38 AM1/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix