can it be wild grapes- Ampelocisscus latifolia ?

shubhada nikharge

Aug 18, 2009, 10:39:30 AM8/18/09
to indian tree pix
Hi.
climber for identification.
Can it be Wild grapes ( Ampelocisscus latifolia ) ?
place : Conservation Education Centre
date: 1st July 2009.

Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.
unknown climber 2009_0701_cec_0103 e.JPG
unknown climber 2009_0701_cec_0106 e.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Aug 18, 2009, 12:17:42 PM8/18/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
... not that I can think of ... the leaves of wild grapes having sinuses not seen.
Attaching two views.
Regards.
3600281843_c983dc44df_o.jpg
2641977510_9807947a91_b.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 18, 2009, 1:09:10 PM8/18/09
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Affirmitive Shubhada.
                   Regards,
                     Neil.

Rani Bhagat

Aug 19, 2009, 12:48:18 AM8/19/09
to Neil Soares, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Ya it is Ampelocissus latifolia-Vitaceae

--
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat

J.M. Garg

Sep 5, 2009, 5:21:28 AM9/5/09
to Rani Bhagat, Neil Soares, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Is my attachment the same (i.e. Ampelocissus latifolia), though I doubt myself?

2009/8/19 Rani Bhagat <raani...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Ampelocisscus latifolia is it I IMG_1353.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2009, 6:53:24 AM9/5/09
to Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Mr.Garg,
   It is most likely the Common Purple Mallow [Urena lobata]. It should be flowering soon.
                          Regards,
                            Neil.

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 5, 2009, 7:48:24 AM9/5/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, shubhada nikharge
Even I felt do. But was confused with the name suggested
dmadhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Neil Soares
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rani Bhagat<raani...@gmail.com>; J.M. Garg<jmg...@gmail.com>
Subject: [indiantreepix:17666] Re: [indiantreepix:/] can it be wild grapes- Ampelocisscus latifolia ?

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2009, 8:04:03 AM9/5/09
to Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
I have not seen Urena with such deep lobes, but am sending in separate post what I consider as Urena lobata.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

santhosh kumar es

Sep 5, 2009, 8:04:57 AM9/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Rani Bhagat, Neil Soares, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
It looks like the vegetative stage of Urena sinuata or Triumfetta sp.  Better we can avoid posting the vegetative photos.

santhosh

2009/9/5 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
2009/8/19 Rani Bhagat <raani...@gmail.com>
--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Rani Bhagat

Sep 5, 2009, 8:40:36 AM9/5/09
to Neil Soares, J.M. Garg, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
It is Urena lobata Malvaceae

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2009, 8:58:17 AM9/5/09
to Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Prof. Singh,
      Sending you a photograph of the Common Purple Mallow [Urena lobata].
                               Regards,
                                 Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2009, 9:01:15 AM9/5/09
to Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi,
  Sorry. Sending the photograph.
                 Regards,
                   Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 9/5/09, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Common Purple Mallow [Urena lobata].jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 5, 2009, 9:18:26 AM9/5/09
to Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, Gurcharan Singh, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Thanks, Rani ji, Neil ji, Singh ji, Santhosh & Madhuri ji,
My photos taken on 18/10/08 (Urena lobata) with flowering pictures & similar leaves in Narshapur forest, AP.
2009/9/5 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
Urena lobata in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0796.jpg
Urena lobata in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0798.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2009, 9:51:10 AM9/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
In excitement what all of us forgot is that your photograph and that of Neil belong to Urena lobata var. sinuata (listed as U. sinuata in Flowers of Himalayas website) and mine is Urena lobata var lobata
2009/9/5 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
2009/8/19 Rani Bhagat <raani...@gmail.com>
clear=all>

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2009, 10:12:17 AM9/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
I think the wild grapes are turning more complicated than we thought. The leaves seem to be variable in all species. What we will have to be alert with U. repanda (mericarp smooth, unarmed; epicalyx lobes long acuminate separated by rounded sinuses; calyx persistent; flowers ± aggregated into terminal inflorescences), U. lobata (Mericarps armed with hooked bristles, epicalyx lanceolate-triangular, 4-7 mm long, appressed to mericarps), U. sinuata (Mericarps armed with hooked bristles, epicalyx linear-lanceolate, reflexed, 3-4 mm long). Flora of China recognise 5 varieties of U. urena from their area.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Sep 5, 2009, 10:20:00 AM9/5/09
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Gurcharan ji. I think we are inadvertently mixing wild grapes and burr mallow.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2009, 10:45:59 AM9/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Yes Dinesh ji, I realise, it may mix up things.

Urena discussion emerged out of this thread, and  incidently all photographs belong to Urena, as the concensus says. I had posted mine separately to maintain identity.

Rajesh Sachdev

Sep 6, 2009, 1:28:23 AM9/6/09
to Neil Soares, Rani Bhagat, J.M. Garg, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Niel sir,
Just a month ago, i was in Tungareshwar and saw Urena Lobata in flowering..although a single plant I came across on my walk of 3 kms...

2009/9/5 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev
http://www.blogger.com/profile/00381405438030989041
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leoparguy/

Dinesh Valke

Sep 6, 2009, 2:39:15 AM9/6/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indian tree pix, rashida atthar
Rajesh, presently Urena plants are growing almost all along the road in Tungareshwar, as well all everywhere in Mumbai, Thane.
I am sure you will find them in Ulhasnagar too.
Regards.