Terminalia arjuna - leaves, flowers, fruits & cocoon of a moth

shubhada nikharge

Jul 3, 2010, 9:32:00 AM7/3/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
Dr. Usha and I saw Terminalia arjuna tree in Charkop, Mumbai in the month of June 2010.
Marathi name: अर्जुन
Family : Combretaceae
T. arjuna is a food plant of Tussar Silk moth. I have attached a pic of a cocoon of T.Silk moth.
It is very difficult to rear this moth in captivity. I tried to rear it twice but the moth did not emerge from it, instead it was parasitised.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Tussar Silk moth cocoon on Arjun tree 2010_06_09_cec_0102 e.JPG
Terminalia arjuna fruis अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_charkop_0132 e.JPG
Terminalia arjuna fruits अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_charkop_0134 e.jpg
Terminalia arjuna leaves अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_charkop_0099 e.jpg
Terminalia arjuna leaf Glands अर्जुन Combretaceae_e.JPG
Terminalia arjuna flowers अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_cec_e.JPG
Terminalia arjuna flower buds अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_cec_ e.JPG
Terminalia arjuna fruits अर्जुन Combretaceae 2010_06_09_cec_0091 e.JPG

tanay bose

Jul 3, 2010, 9:40:19 AM7/3/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Thai was splendid surprise for me to see the Tusar silk moth cacoon... I have never seen
it
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

promila chaturvedi

Jul 3, 2010, 9:52:26 AM7/3/10
to tanay bose, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Though Delhi hosts plenty of T. arjuna. On Janpath they stand both the sides of road as avenue tree. But it is difficult to locate any insect life at the crown because they are tall trees. I admire you Shubhada ji, to locate, identify and take a picture of the crysalis.
Promila

shubhada nikharge

Jul 3, 2010, 12:52:53 PM7/3/10
to promila chaturvedi, indian tree pix
Hi Promila ji,
Dr. Usha had seen it first (She stays in that area) and she wanted me to see it as both of us love insects as much as we love trees.

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jul 5, 2010, 1:14:46 AM7/5/10
to shubhada nikharge, promila chaturvedi, indian tree pix
Friends
Thia tree was not tall.What I want to share is the leaves were much much smaller than the usual...[compare it with fruits.fruits are same size,so is this some variant.]The tree has beautiful white peeling bark.

Shubhada excellant photos...add that of thr bark too,to complete the set.
love Usha