Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC. :: Waghbil, Thane, Maharashtra :: Nov 28, 2009 · 2:08 PM IST

Dinesh Valke

May 30, 2023, 9:16:33 AM5/30/23
to efloraofindia
Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC.
Waghbil, Thane, Maharashtra :: Nov 28, 2009 · 2:08 PM IST :: about 3 m (10 ft) asl

Earlier uploaded at eFI.
Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC.
Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC.
Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC.
Alternanthera sessilis (L.) DC.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jun 7, 2023, 8:19:47 AM6/7/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, DineshValke
To me appears more closer to images at
https://efloraofindia.com/2011/02/04/alternanthera-ficoidea/

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 8, 2023, 2:50:39 AM6/8/23
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks, Garg ji.
I went through both pages in eFI site ... Alternanthera ficoidea and Alternanthera sessilis ... I find that the leaves are variable in both pages, both are sessile.
Please let me know of some "visual" characteristic in the posted plant that suggests A. sessilis, so that I can look for it in my observations before upload.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jun 8, 2023, 2:52:31 AM6/8/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, DineshValke
Pl. check the pubscence of the leaves and nature of the flowers and its head closely.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 8, 2023, 3:03:42 AM6/8/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks, Garg ji.
Will revise to A. ficoidea.
More of my Alternanthera observations will get uploaded in due course, and maybe I will keep fumbling; I do not seem to get familiar with this genus :)
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 10, 2023, 8:20:22 PM6/10/23
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Dinesh ji the two species are very distinct, A sessilis is a plant of wet places, softer stems and leaves latter often gradually narrowed and obtuse and flowers in dense nearly globose to oblong cluster without sharply projecting bracts. A. ficoides on the other hand prefers exposed habitats leaves and stems are stiffer, leaves often prominently narrowed towards base and flowers in few flowered clusters, with distinctly projecting bracts and perianth.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 11, 2023, 12:25:15 AM6/11/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, Gurcharan ji, for the clarity and simple keys.
I hope my further uploads will be with proper IDs.
Regards.
Dinesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "eFloraofIndia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/fa1b40da-4ab0-46d8-89b5-62215622af02n%40googlegroups.com.