Pongamia pinnata

Pravin Kawale

Feb 16, 2010, 1:42:36 AM2/16/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Came across the Pongamia pinnata tree(karanj)
with pods,question is what are the round shape
(bud like)things beside the pods.Dr.Neil sores was also
with me,couldn't makeout the same,I am observing it for
more than two months,If they are buds, then the budding stage
prolongs so?
Experts may pl.comment
Thanks in advance

DSC01724.JPG
DSC01721.JPG
DSC01718.JPG
DSC01720.JPG

DSC01724.JPG
DSC01721.JPG
DSC01718.JPG
DSC01720.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Feb 16, 2010, 2:01:13 AM2/16/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Pravin ji, the buds are just as beautiful as the flowers ... these round structures are not buds for sure ... could they be some kind of galls ?
Similar round structures found on Lannea coromandelica was discussed earlier.

Regards.

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 16, 2010, 2:02:05 AM2/16/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
The spherical structures are actually galls, reported to be caused by an insect namely Asphondylia pongamiae.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Pravin Kawale <kawale...@gmail.com> wrote:

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Kenneth Greby

Feb 16, 2010, 2:44:35 PM2/16/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Hmmm. I doubt that they're flower buds (too large). Perhaps incompletely pollinated flowers that have failed to develop fully into pods? Or perhaps they are galls (perhaps mite-induced?) (For an unrelated example, see the "fruits" that develop on Bucida buceras, caused by mite infestations.)

Regards--
Ken Greby.