[efloraofindia:33634] Hopea ponga-Dipterocarpaceae

rashida atthar

May 1, 2010, 1:52:06 AM5/1/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Saw this fascinating tree for the first time fruiting at  Kulgi, Dandeli and Anshi WLS,  Karnataka. As per Dr. Almeida's Flora of Mah. Vol I pg : 93 .."  the flowers are supposed to be secund, in axillary panicles, the panicles 1-6  together, slender, glabrous, shorter or rarely longer than the leaves; bracts lanceolate, 2-3 mm long; pedicles very short.Calyx glabrous; lobes ( when flowering) ovate, obtuse, the exterior larger. Petals pink, 6 mm long, oblong, acute, externally pubescent,ciliate. Filaments 10, dilated at the base, each alternate one carrying 2 anthers; anthers ovate, each with long filiform appendage about 4 times its length." We only saw one twig with some flowers otherwise mainly fruiting.

We saw the fruits with nuts 1 cm long, ovoid, apiculate, glabrous, surrounded by the accrescent calyx, 2 of the lobes of which are developed into long crimson wings 5-7 by 5 - 1.5 cm oblong- ovovate , 7-9 nerved. On dissection One could see the three suppressed sepals.

regards,
Rashida.

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n' drop

Foliage Hopea ponga.JPG
Hopea ponga old and new leaves.JPG
Dipterocarpaceae tree .JPG
Rounded at base glabrous Shining evergreen leaves.JPG
Oblique curved petioles of Hopea ponga.JPG
Hopea ponga fruits.JPG
Winged fruit of Hopea ponga.JPG
Hopea ponga fruits on ground.JPG
Hopea ponga flowers.JPG
Flowers of Hopea ponga.JPG
Hopea ponga full tree.JPG
Hopea ponga bark.JPG

tanay bose

May 1, 2010, 9:59:22 AM5/1/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
ANOTHER SET OF GREAT COLLECTION FROM RASHIDA JI
TANAY
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 1, 2010, 10:03:48 AM5/1/10
to tanay bose, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
You have to give Tanay a treat.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

rashida atthar

May 1, 2010, 10:21:44 AM5/1/10
to sing...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sure Sir, I have a few fruiting trees lined up for Tanay ji !

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 19:33:48 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33670] Hopea ponga-Dipterocarpaceae
From: sing...@gmail.com
To: tanay...@gmail.com
CC: rashid...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

tanay bose

May 1, 2010, 10:22:49 AM5/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir "My fruit treat is already in due with Rashida Ji".
Tanay

rashida atthar

May 1, 2010, 10:49:11 AM5/1/10
to tanay...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay ji it will be an honour to fulfill this committment !

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 19:52:49 +0530

Catch the changing security environment Get it now.

tanay bose

May 1, 2010, 11:07:21 AM5/1/10
to rashida atthar, sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Rahida Ji