North Bengal flowers - ID request - 1

Sushmita Jha

Oct 29, 2008, 10:55:37 AM10/29/08
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

I took photos of wild flowers during our bird-watching trip to North Bengal - Gorumara, Lolegaon, Sunaley-Khola, Samsing, Lava, etc.

Would greatly appreciate your help in identifying these.

Thank you.
Sushmita Jha
Flower1.jpg
Flower3.jpg
Flower6.jpg

DEBASISH JOARDAR

Oct 29, 2008, 5:00:04 PM10/29/08
to indiantreepix
Hi,

The third one looks like Osbeckia Sp. ( I am not sure about the
species)
Family : Melastomataceae

At first I thought all the picture belongs to different species of the
Osbeckia ( Clue: leaves-lanceolate and venation-parallel). But
not sure.

Regards,

Debasish Joardar.
>  Flower1.jpg
> 105KViewDownload
>
>  Flower3.jpg
> 88KViewDownload
>
>  Flower6.jpg
> 75KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

Oct 30, 2008, 10:49:48 PM10/30/08
to DEBASISH JOARDAR, indiantreepix
I think first two pictures belong to Melastoma normale, as per details from Indiantreepix Database:
Melastoma malabathricum L. subsp. normale (syn. Melastoma normale) Melastomataceae Indian-rhododendron, Straits Rhododendron   On 19/3/08 at Samsing, Duars, West Bengal. straits rhododendron (melastoma malabathricum): info fact sheet, photos Melastoma malabathricum L. subsp. normale syn. Melastoma normale- Indian-rhododendron - indiantreepix | Google Groups Melastoma malabathricum L.