Where can I find this tree

Sanjeev Kumar

Nov 6, 2008, 11:18:20 AM11/6/08
to indiantreepix
Dear All,
I am astonished by the activity on this group.  This is my first post here.

I am from Hosur and I live close to the Denkanikotta forest area.  This forms the western stretches of eastern ghats.

We will be starting a bio diversity survey in this area, which has a forest cover of around 1200 sq km, with various types of forests.

Our DFO is a keen botanist and is trying to re-introduce native species which formed the diet of animals once upon a time.

Recently he asked me to find out if we can get the Elephant apple tree (Dillenia Indica).  I would be much obliged if someone can help me procure some saplings or seeds or any propogative material.  We want to plant these trees as food for elephants.  The forests here are part of the Cauvery Elephant reserve.

Meanwhile I would be interested if anyone has had any success in controlling Lantana.

I will shortly post some pictures of trees to contribute to this wonderful group.
Warm regards
Sanjeev
Hosur
Tamilnadu

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM, sibda...@gmail.com <sibda...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was once told by a plant scientist that he had success in
micropropagation of Shorea, but I did not find any published record.
May be the sapplings require some type mycorrizha or other microbes at
the early stage of develpment- this is a pure assumption

On Nov 6, 8:42 pm, Barry Stock <barryst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious as to what makes Sal so difficult to propagate, besides
> the short seed viability. I had a seedling here, and tried to keep it
> alive, but it would not be happy no matter what I did. Soil chemistry?
>
> Barry Stock
> Hollywood, Florida, USA
>
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:01 AM, Anand Kumar Bhatt wrote:
>

> > The efforts to propagate the stately shaal (shorea robusta) under
> > whose shade Sidddhartha or Gautam Buddha was born, have been a
> > miserable failure.- Hide quoted text -

Visit www.freedomthrougheducation.org and www.roundtableindia.org

Yazdy Palia

Nov 6, 2008, 1:27:40 PM11/6/08
to Sanjeev Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Sanjeevkumar,
You could get the seeds of Dillenia Indica from the link given below.
http://www.netshooter.com/pcd/contact.html
Regards and all the best
Yazdy Palia.

mangala borkar

Nov 6, 2008, 2:03:35 PM11/6/08
to Sanjeev Kumar, indiantreepix
hello, Some of these trees are at Lalbaug at Bangalore.
Borkar

Nov 7, 2008, 1:24:02 AM11/7/08
to Sanjeev Kumar, indiantreepix, Nandita Singh
You are perhaps the right person to reply to my doubts and queries about Acacia mangium Somebody informed on this site some time back that this tree was first introduced and encouraged by the Tamilnadu Forest Dept. but later when they found about its invasive nature, they started removing it. I have heard much about its timber, which though B grade is very fast growing and is useful. Sri Sri Agri hs also dubbed it as invasive and therefore procribed. Can you find some further info about this?
akbhatt

sibda...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2008, 9:28:32 AM11/7/08
to indiantreepix
Dillenia indica (called chalta in Bengali) are abundant in N.Bengal
and Assam Forest, very much liked by the elephants. Once I saw W.B.
Forest Dept. distributing the saplings free during the Vanomahotsab
period (July?) . They have surely enough saplings in their nurseries.

On Nov 7, 12:03 am, mangala borkar <mubor...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> hello, Some of these trees are at Lalbaug at Bangalore.
> Borkar

Kiran Srivastava

Nov 9, 2008, 11:24:10 PM11/9/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I found Delleni indica quite common in Kaziranga National Park, Assam. The huge yellowish-green fruits were being consumed by Parakeets and Hoary-bellied squirrels. I was there 10 days ago and didn’t see any flowers.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net