DV - 28SEP09 - 0500 :: Cucurbitaceae

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2010, 5:22:44 AM3/27/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Cucurbits are confusing ... ID please.

Date/Time : September 28, 2009 at 5.00pm IST
Location Place : Saphale Road, near Palghar, Maharashtra ... Altitude : 13 m ... GPS : 19°37'12.67"N, 72°52'50.46"E
Habitat : wild ... Type : greens along road around monsoon season
Plant Habit : herbaceous climber ... Height : 10 -15 ft ... Length : not sure.
Leaves Type : simple ... Shape : heart-shaped, slightly lobed , deeply cordate at base ... Size :
Inflorescence Type : solitary, on a very long, slender stalk, tending to be erect ... Size : -
Flowers Size : about 1.5 - 2 in ... Colour : bright yellow ... Calyx : do not know ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : gourd ... Shape : long cylindrical ... Size : about 1 foot long x 2 - 2.5 in across... Seeds : do not know

Other Info : the local folks told me that the flowers are used for worship during Lord Ganesha's festival, offered to Goddess Gauri.
One of them gave me the fruit, saying that the hot fried slices coated with gram flour (in Marathi, garam tikhat bhaji) would taste delicious -- well, it did.
Fragrance : do not know ...  Pollinator : do not know ...  Uses : fruit eaten

This climber is commonly found during, rather at the end of and just after monsoon season on plains, more in country-side along state and village roads near inhabited area.

Regards.

3976642252_bd8f479d25_b.jpg
3975872023_d6bb0b6b48_b.jpg
3976638416_4b3feb74b6_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 27, 2010, 6:31:35 AM3/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Whenever I find a cucurbit, the first thing I do is locate a female flower (it will have atleast young fruit) and then if possible the fruit. Curcurbits often confuse you with male flowers. Please try and upload if you have photographs of a female flower and more preferably the fruit. From general look the plant looks to be Luffa, but knowing curbits, it could just be a wild guess.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Mar 28, 2010, 2:39:36 AM3/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... back-of-the-mind the intention is always so ... but, there is always this silly - yet - valid reason ... I was in a hurry !!
Many thanks ... agreed and I promise, will do as you have suggested.

And here is a response from Yatin Patel ji

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This plant may be Luffa cylindrica from Cucurbitaceae family

--
yatin patel ,
Reserch Fellow

Luffa cylindrica is very convincing to me until further validation .. many thanks, Yatin ji.

Regards.
.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 28, 2010, 3:53:30 AM3/28/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Good my wild guess tallies with Yatin ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rohit Patel

Mar 30, 2010, 2:48:01 AM3/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes , I am also with Yatin guess.
--
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator