efloraofindia:''For Id 20032013MR2’’ huge tree with green yellow flowers at Pune

Bhagyashri

Mar 20, 2013, 11:31:39 AM3/20/13
to efloraofindia
Mar 2013
requesting identification of this huge tree along Bund garden Road at Pune. It is flowering profusely at present. From a distance the flowers appear yellow-green-brown. leaves appear to be alternate but I may be wrong. no fruits were seen. This was the only tree among other trees along the road
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Bhagyashri

Mar 20, 2013, 11:33:09 AM3/20/13
to efloraofindia
Sorry I forgot to mention that the branches were long and drooping
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

ajinkya gadave

Mar 20, 2013, 11:44:45 AM3/20/13
to Bhagyashri, efloraofindia
i think this is  Anogeissus dhofarica

--

---

Bhagyashri

Mar 21, 2013, 12:09:54 AM3/21/13
to ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
Many thanks Ajinkya ji for the Id. Is there a common name in Marathi for this tree?
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Satish Phadke

Mar 21, 2013, 12:53:25 AM3/21/13
to Bhagyashri, efloraofindia, ajinkya gadave

I would rather go with Anogeissus pendula or A. Sericea (Mahadhavda in Marathi) which is native and is flowering at some other placea in Pune now.

Bhagyashri

Mar 21, 2013, 11:19:59 AM3/21/13
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, ajinkya gadave
Ajinkya ji & Satish ji,
Many thanks Satish ji for the Id and the name in Marathi.
Yesterday I found your previous post "Anogeissus for ID"  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!search/Anogeissus$20phadke/indiantreepix/DovwgCf3bB8/75FKeOTutYoJ

where Neil ji has mentioned the differences as follows The leaves of A.myrtifolia [A.pendula] are 2-4 by 0.9-1.5 cms and the flowers are in small globose heads 6mm across [whereas in A.serica it is 1-2 cms in diameter].
I went back to the same place and could barely photograph the tip of a branch and take the measurment which is as follows

leaves 4cm X 2cm

flowers green globose head 1cm; full flower 2cm

Attaching pictures of the same

Regards

Bhagyashri

--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Neil Soares

Mar 21, 2013, 1:32:05 PM3/21/13
to Satish Phadke, Bhagyashri, efloraofindia, ajinkya gadave
Hi,
  Ajinkya could be right. This could be Anogeissus dhofarica [though I have never seen it]. This does not look like either A.acuminata [A.pendula] or A. sericea [A.rotundifolia] to me.
 My photographs of A.acuminata are available in the archives of this group. Please also check these links :

 Am sending photographs of A.sericea [A.rotundifolia] for comparison in a separate mail.

                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Bhagyashri

Mar 21, 2013, 11:26:13 PM3/21/13
to Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, ajinkya gadave
Hello Neil ji,
Many thanks for your reply ,links and the separate post with photographs of A.sericea.
Regards
Bhagyashri

--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Satish Phadke

Mar 21, 2013, 11:42:50 PM3/21/13
to Bhagyashri, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares

On a second look at the pictures on facebook, this doesn't look similar to Anogeissus sericea. Clear pictures are needed to go closer to ID.

Bhagyashri

Mar 22, 2013, 2:44:46 AM3/22/13
to Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Satish ji,
Thank you for your feed back. I will see if it is possible to get clear pictures. I forgot to mention yesterday that the leaves were soft to touch, also some leaves appeared to be bigger than 4cms in length but I could not actually measure them as were higher up. Also alternate leaves appeared to differ in size one small and one big. The leaves appeared to have a undulatory margin at places.
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Bhagyashri

Mar 31, 2013, 12:20:06 PM3/31/13
to Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares

Hello friends,                                                                                                                      Attaching some more pics of the tree with additional dimensions                   Young leaves silvery,smooth and soft  hairy underneath                                              Longest leaf 7.3 cmx 3cm                                                                                                  Petiole 3mm long                                                                                                              Peduncle 18 mm ? bracts seen                                                                                     Inflorescence head 1cm, including flowers about 18-19m                     axillary,terminal,solitary and also with 2 heads at places                                                       Calyx stalk 5mm appears hairy- may be I am wrong

Can this be Anogeissus acuminata var. acuminata?

Ref

A Revision of Anogeissus (Combretaceae)

A. J. Scott

Kew Bulletin
Vol. 33, No. 4 (1979), pp. 555-566
Published by: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4109799

Whatever I could grasp to my ability from this ref I thought about this Id. My kind request to please validate the Id
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2013, 5:16:49 AM4/8/13
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, Aparna Watve, Rani Bhagat, Neha Singh, Rahul Mungikar, Mohina Macker, Satish Nikam, Bhagyashri Ranade, skarthi...@gmail.com, kam...@gmail.com, Monali Mhaskar, vidyadhar ogale, Aneeta Kindre, hernol...@gmail.com, Neil Soares

efi site link: Anogeissus acuminata
With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2065 members & 1,47,500 messages on 28/2/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8000 species).
IMG_4683_young leaves.jpg
flowers.JPG
query hairy calyx stalks.JPG
IMG_4636_1.jpg
IMG_4704_t.jpg
IMG_4644_leaves.jpg
IMG_4647_leaf .jpg
inflorescence-terminal,axillary solitary & with 2 heads.JPG
IMG_4694_inflorescence with 2 heads.jpg
IMG_4649_inflorescence with query bracts.jpg
query hairy calyx stalks_1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 24, 2013, 8:11:55 AM4/24/13
to Bhagyashri, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, surajit koley
A reply from another thread:
"......................
Regards,
surajit"
With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2085 members & 1,50,000 messages on 31/3/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8000 species).

Bhagyashri

Apr 24, 2013, 8:50:24 AM4/24/13
to J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, surajit koley
Thank you Garg ji for taking care of this post for Id confirmation. Thank you Surajit ji for confirming the Id
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

surajit koley

Apr 24, 2013, 10:13:15 AM4/24/13
to J.M. Garg, Bhagyashri, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Dear Garg Sir,

I think -
  1. It is not Anogeissus dhofarica, which is a 12m tall tree, leaf 5.5 cm long or less; flower-head solitary at the end of leafy axillary branches
  2. It is not Anogeissus sericea, because leaf base is obtuse in Anogeissus sericea
  3. It is not Anogeissus pendula, which is a shrub or small tree

Regards,
surajit

Bhagyashri

Apr 24, 2013, 10:28:11 AM4/24/13
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thank you Surajit ji for the detailed explanation
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

Satish Phadke

Apr 24, 2013, 10:43:28 AM4/24/13
to Bhagyashri, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Yes Anogeissus acuminata.

Dr Satish Phadke

Bhagyashri

Apr 24, 2013, 11:14:10 AM4/24/13
to Satish Phadke, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thank you Satish ji for confirming the Id
Regards
Bhagyashri

--
Regards
Bhagyashri

surajit koley

Apr 24, 2013, 11:14:51 AM4/24/13
to Bhagyashri, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thank you Madam, it was very confusing, initially, i had to read again and again, a number of times, the linked document.

Regards,
surajit

Bhagyashri

Apr 24, 2013, 11:20:52 AM4/24/13
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thank you Surajit ji for your time and efforts to help to attain the Id. This tree looks very nice with its long drooping branches in full bloom. I saw it the first time and liked it very much. Let us hope that I get to see the fruits of this tree
Regards
Bhagyashri
--
Regards
Bhagyashri

surajit koley

Apr 24, 2013, 12:49:16 PM4/24/13
to Bhagyashri, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Madam,

I will be waiting to see its fruits, for more precise id confirmation.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
surajit