Sal forests of Shantiniketan

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 24, 2010, 12:55:45 PM8/24/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
i visited Shantiniketan- famous for Rabindranath Tagore in April 2010.
I found vast stretches of arid areas where the Forest Dept. of West Bengal have planted Sal trees (Shorea robusta) thereby increasing the scenic beauty of the otherwise dull areas.
regards
Shantanu.
sal forest.jpg

mani nair

Aug 24, 2010, 1:23:34 PM8/24/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Shantanu ji nice photo of Sal trees.
Thanks for sharing
Mani

ajinkya gadave

Aug 24, 2010, 1:34:26 PM8/24/10
to mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
beautiful
also send this pic to garden department of PUNE city.they need project like this

tanay bose

Aug 24, 2010, 5:05:17 PM8/24/10
to ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Nice catch Shantanu Da
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 25, 2010, 1:42:43 AM8/25/10
to tanay bose, Nayan Singh, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
In spite of Madhya Pradesh  being full of patches having saal tree I never found any saal plantation in the State. The Foresters say that the viability of seeds is very short, and silviculture of the tree is a difficult proposition. Instead the forest Dept in MP has gone for the easiest; teak plantation which is so easy to grow in the nurseries, and because of its extremely rough leaves, it is not browsable.
I dont know the latest. Probably Sri Nayan Singh may enlighten.
It would be interesting to know how this plantation in shantiniketan has been done. Tissue culture? Whatever it is, it would be worth emulating.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

nabha meghani

Aug 25, 2010, 4:58:27 AM8/25/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Beautiful Foto, komforting eyes and mind.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Nalini

Rashida Atthar

Aug 25, 2010, 10:34:27 AM8/25/10
to nabha meghani, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Unusual Sal forest ! Thanks for the info. and pics Shantanu ji.

regards,
Rashida.

tanay bose

Aug 25, 2010, 11:19:38 AM8/25/10
to Rashida Atthar, nabha meghani, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Quite common in Bengal
Tanay

Shantanu

Aug 25, 2010, 3:31:22 PM8/25/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks to all of you for liking the pic of Sal trees.

Shantanu : )

On Aug 25, 8:19 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite common in Bengal
> Tanay
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Unusual Sal forest ! Thanks for the info. and pics Shantanu ji.
>
> > regards,
> > Rashida.
>
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM, nabha meghani <nabha-megh...@gmx.de>wrote:
>
> >>  Beautiful Foto, komforting eyes and mind.
> >> Thanks for sharing.
> >> Regards
> >> Nalini

Padmini Raghavan

Aug 25, 2010, 3:52:56 PM8/25/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Is it a good idea to encourage a monoculture like this?
Padmini Raghavan.

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 25, 2010, 3:57:42 PM8/25/10
to efloraofindia
EMF concept is far better than such monoculture.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 25, 2010, 8:04:17 PM8/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I imagine they plant sal saplings very easily in Jharkhand. Why it is
not so common in Pune.
Pankaj

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 26, 2010, 10:40:36 AM8/26/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
In tribal areas like Bastar there are several naturally grown patches of sal , No other tree is there. They are called Sarna and they are considered sacred. Probably these sacred places or protected areas like Kanha are the few places where You can see Sal forest in its full glory, at least in MP.
ak

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 26, 2010, 10:49:29 AM8/26/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Padmini Raghavan, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
The right place to see Sal at its best is in Saranda forests in
Jharkhand. It is supposed to be Asia's most dense Sal forest.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 28, 2010, 3:20:16 PM8/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia
Isnt Saranda forest in Orissa.....Pankaj ji?

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 28, 2010, 3:39:48 PM8/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia
No dear, thats in Jharkhand in Singhbhum district, on the border.
Regards
Pankaj