Saprophytic orchid from Satpura – NSD 23

Nayan Singh

Sep 29, 2009, 10:13:25 AM9/29/09
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com

Friends,

Photograph this saprophytic orchid from Satpura Tiger Reserve on 12-7-09

Please id it

Thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Add whatever you love to the Yahoo! India homepage. Try now!
Saprophytic orchid.jpg
Saprophytic orchid 1.jpg

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Sep 29, 2009, 10:21:29 AM9/29/09
to indiantreepix
I am really happy to see another Orchid expert here, Mr. N. S.
Dungriyal.... I am glad you could find this and you know that this is
indeed an Orchid only...
This should be

Epipogium roseum (D.Don) Lindl., J. Proc. Linn. Soc., Bot. 1: 177
(1857).

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Sep 29, 2009, 10:24:58 AM9/29/09
to indiantreepix
I am not sure as I dont have flora of MP, but this could be a new
record for the state of MP.

Aparna Watve

Sep 30, 2009, 12:43:56 AM9/30/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
I have with me third volume flora of MP (eds.: Singh, Khanna, Mudgal,
Dixit 2001) and they haven't included it.
aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2009, 2:40:54 AM9/30/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Dr. Aparna.

THIS IS FOR ALL TO READ IF POSSIBLE
According to recent research, there are no true saprophytic plants in
the world. Earlier they were supposed to be growing on dead and
decaying matters. But now they are called MYCO-HETEROTROPHS.

Myco-heterotrophy is a symbiotic relationship between certain kinds of
plants and fungi, in which the plant gets all or part of its food from
parasitism upon fungi rather than from photosynthesis. A myco-
heterotroph is the parasitic plant partner in this relationship. Myco-
heterotrophy is considered a kind of cheating relationship and myco-
heterotrophs are sometimes informally referred to as "mycorrhizal
cheaters". This relationship is sometimes referred to as mycotrophy,
though this term is also used for plants that engage in mutualistic
mycorrhizal relationships.

There can be full or partial myco heterotrophs. Orchids can be both
depending upon the species concerned.
Regards
Pankaj

Nayan Singh

Sep 30, 2009, 1:43:19 PM9/30/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks dear Pankaj
Thanks a lot
I am trying to know some thing about the orchids & you helped me a lot. Actually i tried to photograph & id Angiosperms, in the process came across many orchids, it was very difficult to me to id them without an expert like you.
Again thanks