Ceropegia juncea

srinivas krothapalli

Oct 15, 2008, 12:33:50 AM10/15/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Last year I discovered this ceropegia species. With the help of Mr. Tabish it has been identified as Ceropegia juncea by Mr. Dinesh Valke. Searching the net I realised that this is not so common.
Hence I would like to propogate it. Do anyone has any idea in this regard.
With best wishes,
Srinivas

From: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Subject: Postings on Indiantreepix
To: babusrin...@yahoo.co.in
Date: Wednesday, 15 October, 2008, 8:21 AM

Hi, Srinivas ji,
You can simultaneously post on Indiantreepix for getting better response as it has around 600 members. Further, whatever you post on Indiantreepix including pictures- is archived on Google groups unlike Yahoo groups where pictures can't be seen at home page etc.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

ceropegia_pp.jpg
DSC03096ceropegia1.jpg
DSC03096ceropegia2.jpg
leaf.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 15, 2008, 9:57:09 AM10/15/08
to srinivas krothapalli, indian...@googlegroups.com
Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. J.M.Garg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Oct 15, 2008, 10:04:29 AM10/15/08
to srinivas krothapalli, indian...@googlegroups.com
You can propagate either by germinating the seeds or by stem cuttings.
For propagation through cuttings take a bottom pot used for cuttings ( or a plastic tray).  Fill it up with river sand.   Take stem cuttings of the ripened stems.  The incision should be at a n angle   ( 30 to 45 degree!), preferably  one cm below the node.   Please see that two nodes are intact.  Remove all  the leaves except one.     Insert  the stems ( lower part ) into the sand about  half an inch deep in the soil.    You may put  10 to 20 stems in a single bottom pot.  Keep the pot undisturbed under a tree or in a shaded place. Water the pot regularly ( daily 2 times - once in the morning and once in the evening).  You should not allow the soil to dry .  Within a week you can see few buds arising.   Success rate depends upon how nicely you carry out the procedure, especially the incision, which should be carried out using a very sharp knife without any damage to the stem.  You can also  use some rooting hormone powders available in the market  for cuttings.         When you use this , you have to dip the lower part of the  stem (cut surface)  first in water , shake it,  then  put it into the powder  so that the powder sticks to the cut end.  Then shake off  the excess powder and then insert in the sand and follow the usual procedure of watering it regularly.
When the  cuttings are rooted well and when you can see few leaves on a new shoot (it takes about 15 days after new shoot), you may  transplant the plant to a  regular pot filled with soil mixture and proper drainage.   The ideal mixture is 1:!: 2 (river sand + red soil + cow dung manure or FYM).
All the best.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy.

Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Click here.

satish phadke

Oct 15, 2008, 1:21:16 PM10/15/08
to srinivas krothapalli, indian...@googlegroups.com
Very nice capture Srinivas. Ceropegia is an interesting genus from Aesclepediaceae family and I like it very much. Thanks for sharing.
Dr Satish Phadke