Syzigium cumini

satish phadke

Apr 6, 2009, 10:34:44 AM4/6/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Syzigium cumini
flowers of a common Jamun tree.Pune last week.
Jambhul
Family Myrtaceae
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Syzigium cumini.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 6, 2009, 10:50:10 AM4/6/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
What a wonderful shot, Satish ji.

Some interesting extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures/ more details, pl. click on the link):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambool

According to Hindu tradition, Rama subsisted on the fruit in the forest for 15 years during his exile from Ayodhya. Because of this, many Hindus regard Jambul as a 'fruit of the gods,' especially in Gujarat, India, where it is known locally as jamboon.

Jamun is so exclusive to the Indian Sub-continent and so widespread across the Indian Sub-continent that one of the old names of India (or the Indian region) is called Jambu-Dvipa (literally, Island of Jamun fruit).

Jambul (Syzygium cumini) is an evergreen tropical tree in the flowering plant family Myrtaceae, native to India, Pakistan and Indonesia. It is also known as Jamun, Nerale Hannu, Jamblang, Jambolan, Black Plum, Damson Plum, Duhat Plum, Jambolan Plum, Java Plum or Portuguese Plum. "Malabar plum" may also refer to other species of Syzygium.

A fairly fast growing species, it can reach heights of up to 30 m and can live more than 100 years. Its dense foliage provides shade and is grown just for its ornamental value. The wood is strong and is water resistant. Because of this it is used in railway sleepers and to install motors in wells. It is sometimes used to make cheap furniture and village dwellings though it is relatively hard to work on.

2009/4/6 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Madhuri Pejaver

Apr 7, 2009, 4:00:40 AM4/7/09
to satish phadke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix Indian

jamun is a good medicine for diabetis mellitus
the seeds of jamun are used for the powder made.
eating jamun in season is also advisedto these patients
madhuri

--- On Mon, 6/4/09, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or your...@rocketmail.com. Click here http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

Stephen A

Apr 7, 2009, 5:49:49 AM4/7/09
to Madhuri Pejaver, satish phadke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix Indian

Hi all,

Syzygium cumini is really a mythical plant with respect to its diabetic properties concern.
Because several studies were undertaken to prove the diabetic property of this particular plant but unfortunately none has proved that this plant is effective against any kind of diabetic.
In my own personal experience by scientific as well as traditional research, I found out that this plant is not a good plant to suggest for the Diabetic patients.

In support of my views, I have attached some articles from various journals.

The articles for the readers of this group only and not to be circulated!!!

With kind regards,

Stephen…
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü