fruits & vegetables :: CULTIVATED :: Annonaceae » Annona reticulata

Dinesh Valke

Jan 2, 2011, 1:32:52 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia
Annonaceae (custard apple, sugar apple, or soursop family) » Annona reticulata
Synonyms: Annona humboldtiana, Annona humboldtii, Annona laevis, Anona longifolia, Annona lutescens
... Annona is often found misspelled as Anona

uh-NO-nuh -- Latinized form of the American Indian taino, vernacular name for cherimoya
reh-tick-yoo-LAY-tuh -- netted

commonly known as: bull's-heart, bullock's-heart, custard apple, Jamaica apple, netted custard apple, nettled anón, ox-heart • Assamese: আত্ লচ্ aat-loch • Hindi: आत, आता or अता ata, लोना or लौना lona, पारावती parawati, रामफल ramphal, विन्ध्या vindhya • Kannada: ರಾಮಫಳ ramaphala  • Konkani: रामफळ ramphal • Malayalam: ആത്തച്ചക്ക aatha chakka, malamunthiri, parankichchakka, ramachchita • Marathi: अनर anara, अनवल anaval, रामफळ ramphal • Prakrit: लवणअं lavanam • Sanskrit: अग्रिमा agrima, lavali, लवनीयम् lavaniyam, पारावती paravati, विन्ध्या vindhya • Tamil: அணிநுணா aninuna, இராமசீத்தா iramacitta, மனிலாவாத்தா manilavatta, ராமச்சீத்தா ramaccitta • Telugu: రామఫలము ramaphalamu • Urdu: شريفه shareefah

Distribution
: widely cultivated; probable origin Central America

Edible use:
... ripe fruit as FRUIT

some thoughts:
... Both in tree and in fruit, the custard apple, Annona reticulata L., is generally rated as the mediocre or "ugly duckling" species among the prominent members of this genus
Quoted from: Purdue University

In India, many "discover" the existence of A. reticulata ! (read: some of us get to know about it quite late in our lives)
3363295794_8f00d2013b_b.jpg
2319023496_bdc3fa24a9_b.jpg
2407587176_f25204f0e8_b.jpg
3362472865_054e4de45d_b.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 3, 2011, 3:16:08 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,
Adding my picture of a ripe fruit from our home garden at Nasik.
Aarti

Fruits-Netted Custard Apple,Nasik-DSCN5172.JPG