Yellow flowers of Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh

kiran srivastava

Feb 15, 2010, 10:21:30 PM2/15/10
to eflora...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
I was in Kanha NP, Madhya Pradesh last week and noticed that the Common Rattle Pod, Crotalaria retusa dotted the entire landscape of this national park, from the meadows to the Sal (Shorea robusta) forest except in the higher reaches such as Bamhnidadar which is at 2900 feet msl.

Another common flower was the Indian Squirrel Tail, Colebrookea oppositfolia forming the shrub layer in the fringes of the Sal forest. (Ref: http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Squirrel%20Tail.html )

The Lion's Ear, Leonotis nepetiifolia with its golf ball size spikey flower pod was very common in the open areas. (Ref: http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Lion's%20Ear.html )

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai
Kanha-Feb 2010 058.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 16, 2010, 1:07:05 AM2/16/10
to kiran srivastava, eflora...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kiran ji,

I think this is Crotalaria spectabilis. (Hindi name: Ban-Sanai). C. retusa has small, subulate bracts.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2010, 5:22:51 AM3/10/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, kiran srivastava

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Dear Kiran ji,

I think this is Crotalaria spectabilis. (Hindi name: Ban-Sanai). C. retusa has small, subulate bracts.” from Vijayasankar ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Kanha-Feb 2010 058.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 10, 2010, 6:27:54 AM3/10/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, kiran srivastava

Dear all,
I think Vijatsankar ji is correst the plant indeed is Crotalaria spectabilis.
regards
tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)