ADENANTHERA PAVONINA: 100210-AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

Feb 10, 2010, 10:15:46 AM2/10/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
These are the pods of the other 'Gunja'... Adenanthera pavonina, also known as Red Sandalwood tree.I was told it is also known as 'Ratan Gunja'.
This picture is taken at Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on the 17th of May, 07.The flower picture is on flowersofindia site.
I too have known that Abrus precatorius, or Gunja was a weight measure in olden times to weigh Gold.It was measured as Tola, Masa, Gunja.
Wonder if this info will be of use. Reading all the discussion on our group,I thought of adding mine.
regards,
Aarti Khale

You have been sent 1 picture.

Red Sandalwood Tree, Adenanthera pavonina pods,Ratan Gunja-(P1010951).jpg

Red Sandalwood Tree,Adenanthera-pavonina-pods,Ratan-Gunja-(P1010951).jpg

Dr. Hari

Feb 11, 2010, 2:31:53 AM2/11/10
to efloraofindia
Ya its called as 'Kuchandana' in Sanskrit, the heartwood of this tree
is red in colour...because of which it comes in the market as an
adulterant to 'Padmaka'(Prunus puddum, which grows in Himalayas).. in
south India either the heartwood of Adenanthera or Caesalpinia sappan
is taken as Padmaka...which is medicinal...highly used in Kerala
regions for imparting pink colour to the water they drink..many
formulations are sold in the market in the name of "Daha shamani" or
Daha Shanti..which reduces Vitiated Pitta(one among the Tridoshas as
per Ayurveda and Siddha systems of Medicine) from the body