Malvaceae week 09 05 2011 UD 002 Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus

ushadi Micromini

Sep 6, 2011, 3:52:20 AM9/6/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Balkar Arya

Dear All:

Submitting :    Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus red flowers

Family:            Malvaceae

Subfamily:       Malvoideae

Tribe:               Hibisceae

Genus:             Malvaviscus   Fabr.

My specimen:      Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus

Synonyms:            Sleepy Hibiscus, Mexican Turk's Cap     In colloquial Bengali: Lanka Joba… (Jaba kusum flower that looks     like a red mirchi (lanka in Bengali) ) .

Origin: Costa Rica, Nicaragua

Now found in most tropical areas.

Evergreen shrub to 10 feet.   Grown all over Bengal, I find it on roadsides, along banks of water-bodies, esp in villages… the flowers are  popular with ladies as puja offering…   and makes the drab country lanes colorful most of the year…

Date/Time-  Seen it all my life, digital photograph  made in 2008 at a picnic spot at a friend’s garden, north of Kolkata and 2011 in Bihar,  in the yard of a  Jain Temple .

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-   Sea level, near Barasat, a few miles north of  Kolkata. (Figures 1 -3)   I recently saw it in Bihar…(figure 4) ..

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   In India : cultivated .

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-    shrub , I have seen them only to be about 8 feet tall.

Height/Length-   see above.

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  ? Sagittate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-   Single,

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-   This is RED, seen in white and pink… and a mixed up one…  same plant had red and white flowers, go figure!!

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  I have not seen any…

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-  Pollinators: Don’t know

Uses: As I said… provides color  better part of the year, grows fast  and almost no pests… anybody can plant them and forget them for a while…

People use them for making garlands for Deity puja …

Enjoy

Thanks…

Usha di

====

Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus 1 HABIT winter 08 016 (1) sm crp nm.jpg
Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus 2 Leaves and a single flower eaten winter 08 016 (4) sm crp nm.jpg
Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus 3 STEM HABIT URBAN winter 08 016 (6) sm crp nm.jpg
Malvaviscus arboreus penduliflorus 4 Bihar RAIN SOAKED ME and Plant Both DSC03242 sm crp nm.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 6, 2011, 4:16:46 AM9/6/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Balkar Arya
Now more appropriately M. penduliflorus DC.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 6, 2011, 10:43:09 AM9/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Nice pics with details Ushadi Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Balkar Arya

Sep 6, 2011, 12:22:39 PM9/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Mine pics
Malvaviscus arboreus 'penduliflorus' (1).JPG
Malvaviscus arboreus 'penduliflorus' (2).JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 6, 2011, 1:50:59 PM9/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
In Marathi this is caled as Muki Jaswand as the flowers do not open
Madhuri