Khandala tree ID please?

bindu kapadia

Nov 18, 2008, 11:46:18 AM11/18/08
to indiantreepix
In a secluded wooded area there were many  such trees bearing  small berries green
 and dark brown when ripe and attracting birds specially RV and RW Bulbuls.
Regards,
Bindu
Picture 076-auto c.jpg

Neil Soares

Nov 18, 2008, 2:58:40 PM11/18/08
to bindu kapadia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bindu,
  They are the flowers of Grewia laevigata locally called Kaori. Sending you a photograph of one taken at my farm at Shahapur for comparison.
                            With regards,
                               Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 11/18/08, bindu kapadia <bind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Flowers of Grewia laevigata,Kaori.jpg

figtree

Nov 19, 2008, 12:11:27 AM11/19/08
to indiantreepix
Do the two phots belong to the same species(?), the one sent by
Kapadia may belong to G. tiliafolia. An allied species G. asiatica
(syn. subinaequalis) is a cultivated species, friuts are known (in -
Beng. and Hindi) as Phalsa

On Nov 19, 12:58 am, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Bindu,
>   They are the flowers of Grewia laevigata locally called Kaori. Sending you a photograph of one taken at my farm at Shahapur for comparison.
>                             With regards,
>                                Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Nov 19, 2008, 2:17:33 AM11/19/08
to figtree, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  Also have both G.tiliaefolia [Dhaman] and G.asiatica [Phalsa] growing on my property. Am sending you photographs of G.asiatica for the present . Will try and send photographs of G.tiliaefolia later.
           With regards,
             Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 11/19/08, figtree <sibda...@gmail.com> wrote:
Grewia asiatica [Phalsa].jpg
Grewia asiatica [Phalsa] leaves.jpg

bindu kapadia

Nov 19, 2008, 3:12:53 AM11/19/08
to indiantreepix
Thanks Neil for the ID.
Regards,
Bindu

J.M. Garg

Nov 19, 2008, 9:10:15 PM11/19/08
to bindu kapadia, indiantreepix
From Indiantreepix Database:
Grewia laevigata (syn. G. serrulata) Tiliaceae in the Hyderabad University campus in Gachibowli- 16/8/08? Aluka - Entry for GREWIA leptopus Ulbr. [family TILIACEAE] ID AJV160808 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Species Detail

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

bindu kapadia

Nov 20, 2008, 4:10:53 AM11/20/08
to Neil Soares, figtree, indian...@googlegroups.com
I was under impression that Phalsa grows in a very dry climate and wildly  like in Gujarat.
Remember in my childhood in Ahmedabad,vendors (ladies) would bring freshly picked berries in a
tokri(basket) singing "Thande mithe  phalse---- phalsa" It still rings in my ears!
We used to make sherbet out of these ripe  sour berries -Yes it's a tedious or say laborious process,putting
 all the berries in a muslin cloth and squeezing out the juice for the seeds are very hard. but the outcome
was soothing--very cool and tasty.
In this wooded area there were many trees (big and small ) with these berries.I did'nt observe in detail
May be there were Dhaman and phalsa also!
Is the phalsa  tree flourishing in your farm Neil? I am curious.
Regards,
Bindu

Neil Soares

Nov 20, 2008, 8:09:19 AM11/20/08
to bindu kapadia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bindu,
   Thanks. You have raised a very pertinent point. Grewia asiatica [Phalsa] varies from being a large shrub to a small tree. The vegetation of Shahapur is of the mixed dry deciduous type as opposed to Gujarat where it is semi-arid [possibly ideal conditions for its growth] and so the plants here tend to be shrubby.
                Regards,
                  Neil.