For ID 010209ET 67

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Feb 1, 2009, 12:31:23 AM2/1/09
to indiantreepix
Friends
This flower interested me because of the combination of so many colours.
This was taken at Ranthampur National Park, when I was there there 24 to26 Jan.2009
Please give ID

With Warm Regards,

      THIRU
(E.Thiruvengadam)

Mobile 9987886892
IMG_0143.JPGb.jpg

Neil Soares

Feb 1, 2009, 9:43:12 AM2/1/09
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Thiruvengadam,
     It looks like the Scarlet Pimpernel [Anagallis arvensis].
                  With regrads,
                     Neil Soares.

Mahendra Prasad

Feb 4, 2009, 3:21:38 AM2/4/09
to indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Scarlet Pimperil.

Feb 6, 2009, 9:21:18 AM2/6/09
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Some interesting inf. from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anagallis_arvensis

The scarlet pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis; also known as the red pimpernel, red chickweed, poorman's barometer, shepherd's weather glass, or shepherd's clock) is a low-growing, annual plant in the family Myrsinaceae, growing in Europe, Asia and North America. The barometer (weather glass) common names have their origin in the fact that the flowers close when atmospheric pressure decreases and bad weather is approaching.

This common European plant is generally considered a weed and is an indicator of light soils.

It is most well known for being the emblem of the fictional hero The Scarlet Pimpernel.

The stems are about 45 cm long and generally prostrate. The bright green ovate sessile leaves grow opposite. The small orange flowers grow in the leaf axils from spring till autumn. The petal margin is somewhat crenate.

2009/2/4 Mahendra Prasad <mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg