ID request

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 2:32:23 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

The picture was taken while trekking in Coorg, Karnataka in the month
of Dec.2008.
Length of the flower is around 11 inches, please give ID.

IMG_0003-1a.jpg

IMG_0003-1a.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 31, 2008, 5:57:51 AM12/31/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
Hi, Thiru ji,
Looks like Datura suaveolens (syn. Brugmansia suaveolens). See from Indiantreepix Database:
Datura suaveolens (syn. Brugmansia suaveolens)  Solanaceae white angel's-trumpet    Brugmansia suaveolens information from NPGS/GRIN for confirmation of id - indiantreepix | Google Groups Datura suaveolens - Angel Trumpet

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 7:42:26 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This flower I saw on a 10 metre ht. tree, at three places of the same
tree in coorg .

Please give ID

IMG_0020a.jpg

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 7:54:53 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This plant interested me very much. This is 1 metre ht. taken in Coorg
I do not know that,this is bud or flower.
ID please

IMG_0021-1.JPG

IMG_0021-1.JPG

vinod kumar gupta

Dec 31, 2008, 7:55:40 AM12/31/08
to J.M. Garg, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
Is the attached picture the same? Taken at sattal on 13.1.7

Thanks

Vinod

Dec 31, 2008, 7:55:55 AM12/31/08
to Indian tree pics
Looks like the African tulip tree, Spathodea campanulata, family
Bignoniaceae.
If it is, don't let it near your drains. the roots invade everything!

Cheers,
Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton (www.maxoverton.com)

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006
The Glass House Trilogy (Eppie finalists), A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in
the Details, Trapdoor, Tapestry
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book
2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass
Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Scarab - Ay, and Scarab - Horemheb (Books 4 & 5 of the
Amarnan Kings), Djinn

Dec 31, 2008, 8:49:22 AM12/31/08
to vinod kumar gupta, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
Hi, Vinod ji,
I appears so.

2008/12/31 vinod kumar gupta <vkgupt...@yahoo.com>

J.M. Garg

Dec 31, 2008, 8:53:06 AM12/31/08
to Max Overton, Indian tree pics
Hi, Thiru ji,
IMG_0020a appears to be what Max stated. See from Indiantreepix Database:
Spathodea campanulata   Bignoniaceae Fountain Tree, African tulip tree, Nandi Flame, Scarlet bell or Squirt tree Flowering this week in Pune- 30/1/08- Satish ji. Last year, I saw it flower in Feb. in Salt Lake, Kolkata. It has started flowering now (25/2/08) in Kolkata. Sh Khaleel Chowa posted one picture in January- was it of Jan'08 & where taken?. In magnificent bloom in Bangalore- 10/3/08- Ranjini Kamath.
Beautiful Trees & Shrubs by Chakraverty & Jain states it to flower in early spring (February- March). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spathodea_campanulata African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata) - indiantreepix | Google Groups The African Tulips - indiantreepix | Google Groups Is it African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata)? - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 9:29:54 AM12/31/08
to .
Ffriends
This photo of the flower I took from Coorg.
Please give ID

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 9:33:52 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This flower photo I took it from Coorg. please ID

IMG_0002.JPG

Mahadeswara Swamy

Dec 31, 2008, 10:27:00 AM12/31/08
to ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
The tree looks like another species of Spathodea (i.e. S.nilotica, the Uganda Flame tree). I remember to have seen this in Bangalore. This species has lower growth than Spathodea companulata. However, this needs confirmation.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Dec 31, 2008, 11:11:40 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

Leaves of this plant having marking on it as it is photo. First I
thought it is some insect, but all these plants are having similar
marking.
Please give ID

IMG_0014-1.JPG

IMG_0014-1.JPG

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 11:15:43 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This charming flower impressed me very much. Photo was taken in Coorg
in the month of Dec. 2008
Please give ID

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 11:18:20 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This is another from Coorg.
Plesae give ID.

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 11:28:49 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

Please give the ID of flower / plant . Picture was taken Western ghats Coorg

IMG_0019a.jpg

IMG_0019a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2008, 11:32:34 AM12/31/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
IMG_0019a.jpg seems to be Crotalaria pallida
regards.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2008, 11:40:02 AM12/31/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
IMG_0021.JPG ... Flamingo Lily (Anthurium species ... could be A. andraeanum)
regards.

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 11:42:36 AM12/31/08
to .
Friends

The picture was taken Western ghats Coorg.
Please give ID

IMG_0011-1a.jpg

IMG_0011-1a.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Dec 31, 2008, 11:50:36 AM12/31/08
to ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
 A Sambucus species (Elderberry here in the US), though not sure which.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Dec 31, 2008, 12:06:36 PM12/31/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com, fst...@yahoo.com
I agree with Ken ... me thinks S. canadensis.(introduced and naturalised)
These are found at Mahabaleshwar too.
Regards.

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 12:11:15 PM12/31/08
to .
Hi

The diametre of the fruit is around 6 inches.
ID please.
Picture taken while through the village in coorg.

IMG_0042a.jpg

IMG_0042a.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Dec 31, 2008, 12:18:12 PM12/31/08
to ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
 Looks like a grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) or a pummelo (Citrus maxima)

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Dec 31, 2008, 12:37:36 PM12/31/08
to .
Friends
This plant is allover Westeren ghats Coorg. Taken in the month of Dec.2008
ID please

IMG_0056-1a.jpg

IMG_0056-1a.jpg

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Dec 31, 2008, 12:40:09 PM12/31/08
to .
Friends

This I like very much, taken from coorg. dec.2008
ID please.

IMG_0003-4a.jpg

IMG_0003-4a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2008, 12:41:53 PM12/31/08
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
... wild tobacco ... looks like Lobelia nicotianifolia
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Dec 31, 2008, 11:48:45 PM12/31/08
to Dinesh Valke, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 12:05:34 AM1/1/09
to swamy...@yahoo.com, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Here is another reply in a different mail:
"this is spathodia companulata.
vivek gharpure"

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 12:10:02 AM1/1/09
to swamy...@yahoo.com, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji for the feedback.
S.nilotica seem to be the same species as Spathodea campanulata- may be a different sub-species, see the links: http://www.aluka.org/action/showMetadata?doi=10.5555/AL.AP.SPECIMEN.K000430376&pgs= & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spathodea

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 12:56:19 AM1/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
Dinesh ji's link for Lobelia nicotianifolia (Wild Tobacco): http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3132840116/in/set-72157611557582524/  & http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3132755192/in/set-72157611557582524/ (with a picture & ver. names).  I must congradulate him for his excellent work on Flickr.

2009/1/1 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Mahadeswara Swamy

Jan 1, 2009, 8:31:20 AM1/1/09
to J.M. Garg, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Thanks for the information/ update. My identification was based on Mr. Neginaha's reference in Goden trees.............Urban Forestry , pp.85. I think in future it is apt to refer it as a subspecies of S.companulata, as suggested by you.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

--- On Thu, 1/1/09, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

Get rid of Add-Ons in your email ID get your...@ymail.com. Sign up now! http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

Mahadeswara Swamy

Jan 1, 2009, 8:46:39 AM1/1/09
to ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

For me it looks like Ornamental Angelonia (A.grandiflora), escape from the gardens.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Jan 1, 2009, 9:12:44 AM1/1/09
to ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Chakota in kannada . Bumblimass in Tamil.

Jan 1, 2009, 9:43:11 AM1/1/09
to swamy...@yahoo.com, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji.
On going through 'Tropical Garden Plants' by Bose, Chowdhury & Sharma, can it be Angelonia angustifolia, due to deep voilet flowers compared to 'white with voilet spots' flowers of Angelonia grandiflora.
Links for Angelonia angustifolia (Summer Snapdragon, Angel Flower): http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/ange_ang.cfm (details with a few pictures), http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54108/ (details with pictures), http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Angelonia%20angustifolia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi (pictures).

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 10:03:28 AM1/1/09
to swamy...@yahoo.com, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Some extracts of Citrus maxima from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo

The pomelo (or Chinese grapefruit, pummelo, pommelo, Lusho Fruit, jabong, shaddock[1]) Citrus maxima (Merr., Burm. f.), also Citrus grandis (L.), is a citrus fruit, usually a pale green to yellow when ripe, with sweet white (or, more rarely, pink or red) flesh and very thick spongy rind. It is the largest citrus fruit, ranging from the size of an extra-large grapefruit to the diameter of a basketball,[2] and usually weighing between 1 and 2 kg.

The pomelo is native to South-East Asia.

The pomelo tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit - it has very little or none of the common grapefruit's bitterness, but the membranes of the segments are bitter and usually discarded. The peel is sometimes used to make marmalade, or candied then dipped in chocolate. The peel of the pomelo is also used in Chinese cooking or candied. In general, citrus peel is often used in southern Chinese cuisine for flavouring, especially in sweet soup desserts.

Other links: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pummelo.html (great details), http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/pummelo.htm (some details with a picture).

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 10:40:34 AM1/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com, fst...@yahoo.com
Thanks, Dinesh ji & Ken ji.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus_canadensis

Sambucus canadensis (American Elderberry) is a species of elderberry native to a large area of North America east of the Rocky Mountains, and south through eastern Mexico and Central America to Panama. It grows in a variety of conditions including both wet and dry soils, primarily in sunny locations.

It is a deciduous suckering shrub growing to 3 m or more tall.

The leaves are arranged in opposite pairs, pinnate with five to nine leaflets, the leaflets around 10 cm long and 5 cm broad.

In summer, it bears large (20-30 cm diameter) corymbs of white flowers above the foliage, the individual flowers 5-6 mm diameter, with five petals.

The fruit is a dark purple to black berry 3-5 mm diameter, produced in drooping clusters in the fall. The berries are edible, but other parts of the plant are poisonous, containing toxic calcium oxalate crystals.

It is closely related to the European Sambucus nigra, and some authors treat it as conspecific, under the name Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis.

Uses for the fruit include: medicinal products, wine, jelly and dye.

Other links: http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=Sambucus+canadensis&btnG=Search&meta= (details with pictures),

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 10:59:41 AM1/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Thiru ji,
IMG_0024 appears to be Justicia carnea. See from Indiantreepix Database:

J.M. Garg

Jan 1, 2009, 11:07:11 AM1/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Links for Anthurium andraeanum: http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=anthurium+andraeanum (lots of images), http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/flamingo.htm (some details),

Mahadeswara Swamy

Jan 1, 2009, 10:29:06 PM1/1/09
to J.M. Garg, ., Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Dear Gargji,
There are many variants of A.grandiflora. I have seen many in Chennai. One has to check the morp0hological character before the final ID .

> On going through 'Tropical Garden Plants' by Bose,
> Chowdhury & Sharma, can
> it be *Angelonia angustifolia*, due to deep voilet flowers
> compared to
> 'white with voilet spots' flowers of *Angelonia
> grandiflora*.
> Links for *Angelonia angustifolia* (*Summer Snapdragon,
> Angel Flower*)*:*
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Go to http://in.business.yahoo.com/

JM Garg

May 29, 2020, 2:47:43 AM5/29/20
to efloraofindia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
This should be Angelonia biflora as per images and details herein.
IMG_0003-4a.jpg

JM Garg

Jun 4, 2020, 2:22:11 AM6/4/20