Peth Kothaligad, September 2021 :: Lindernia for ID :: ARK2022-004

Alka Khare

Jan 10, 2022, 11:54:25 PM1/10/22
to efloraofindia
Hello friends

This was clicked at Peth Kothaligad hill fort near Karjat, MH in September 2021.
Seems to be some Lindernia with a winged calyx.

Requested to please ID.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare
IMG_6178.JPEG
IMG_6177.JPEG
IMG_6179.JPEG

vip...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2022, 12:28:54 AM1/11/22
to efloraofindia

Torenia cordifolia Roxb. [Linderniaceae].

Best wishes, Viplav

Alka Khare

Jan 11, 2022, 12:50:08 AM1/11/22
to efloraofindia
Thanks Viplav ji for the ID.

Regards
Alka Khare

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2022, 5:00:42 AM1/14/22
to efloraofindia, vip...@gmail.com, Alka
Thanks, Viplav ji.
To me appears more closer to Torenia indica C.J.Saldanha rather than those at Torenia cordifolia Roxb.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

vip...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2022, 9:29:16 AM1/14/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka

Thank you, sir, for raising this concern. This plant was described as T. cordifolia in the old floras of Bombay. From what I gather, the identity of this plant had undergone a revision/correction in the 1960s! Torenia indica sp. nov. was described by Cecil J. Saldanha in his paper "The Genus Torenia Linn. in Western Peninsular India", published in 1966.

As per this paper, the plant in this thread is Torenia indica. I've attached the relevant section of this document for reference. Please note that Saldanha's paper does not include T. cordifolia in the species key.

Best wishes, Viplav
Torenia indica_CJ Saldanha_1966.pdf

Alka Khare

Jan 16, 2022, 3:07:42 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji and Viplav ji for the correct ID.

Regards
Alka Khare