Re: [indiantreepix:5563] Please help

Mahendra Prasad

Oct 30, 2008, 4:42:09 AM10/30/08
to indiantreepix, Sushmita Jha
The small disc-ed hard red seeds could be seeds of Rakta Chandan, about 8 mm dia like a flying saucer. Trees can be seen between GPO & Fairlee Place in Kolkata. In season, the road is strewn with these red seeds. The 2nd seed probably is the well-known Ratti, a creeper ), as observed by Anand ji. The seeds were used by goldsmiths in olden days as a measure of weight. 12 ( I think ) Rattis were equal to 1 Masha,  6 ( again not sure ) Mashas were equal to 1 Tola ( which is about 11.7 gm ). ( I am forgetting what we studied in class 4 Arithmetics. ) The Rattis, minature egg-shaped, brilliant scarlet red with a large black spot having a small white dot, are eye-catching, specially if seen in the jungle. I have come across both the rare white & black varieties also. Ratti is Indian Licorice ( not sure ) botanical name Abrus sps(  not sure ). Can give botanical names of both both seeds later.

Oct 30, 2008, 6:03:14 AM10/30/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indiantreepix, Sushmita Jha
Ratti is Abrus precatorius. Rakta Chandan is Adenenthera microsperma.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Sushmita Jha

Oct 30, 2008, 6:35:28 AM10/30/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indiantreepix
Thank you all once again.
Best,
Sushmita Jha

J.M. Garg

Oct 30, 2008, 12:19:41 PM10/30/08
to Sushmita Jha, Anand Kumar Bhatt, mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indiantreepix
Details of Abrus precatorius with links (containing pictures) from Indiantreepix Database:
Abrus precatorius Fabaceae Crab Eyed Creeper, Jequirity, gunj, Rosary Pea, 'John Crow' Bead, Precatory bean, Indian Licorice or Saga Tree  common in areas of SGNP ( Yeoor, Nagla, Tungareshwar & Yeoor ). Jequirity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ID required for this plant - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Pictures of Adenanthera pavonia (False Red Sandalwood, Bead Tree) at:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/2108596778_6892c5fe5e.jpg?v=0, http://www.natureloveyou.sg/Adenanthera%20pavonina/Main.html, http://www.botanypictures.com/plantimages/adenanthera%20pavonina%2005%20menglun%20xtbg.jpg & links with details:http://www.herbsnspicesinfo.com/medicinal-herbs/bead-tree.aspx

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 30, 2008, 1:05:22 PM10/30/08
to J.M. Garg, Sushmita Jha, mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indiantreepix
to continue with Raktachandan, in Seoni  (M.P.) near Nagpur there is about 50 acres of Raktachandan in the forest Dept. which is jealously guarded by them. It appears that a small patch of Raktachandan trees was discovered by the Forest officers a few decades back and since then they have expanded the area.
akbhatt