Castanea sativa : Sweet Chestnut : 171011 : AK-4

12 views
Skip to the first unread message

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 10:52:23 am17/10/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose
Sweet Chestnut or Castanea sativa from Srinagar taken in Sept,11.
Kindly validate.
Aarti
Castanea sativa,Srinagar-DSC_0043.JPG
Castanea sativa,Srinagar-DSC_0917.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 12:22:32 pm17/10/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, tanay bose
You are really great, Aarti ji


-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 12:32:06 pm17/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Gurcharan ji,
Actually not so great.I have been going thro' your Kashmir flowers over and over again.
Trying to match the leaves, etc for a possible id to my Kashmir pictures.
And I generally go by my sense of sight rather than all minute details.
Now I have to clarify a doubt.
We get Chestnuts here in Winter which are to be roasted and eaten. 
I want to know if they are the same.
Will send a picture.
Thanks for confirmation of this one.
Regards,
Aarti

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 1:09:22 pm17/10/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Chestnuts sold in warm climate are generally water chesnut, whose floor is eaten during fasts. It is Trapa bispinosa in warm places and Trapa natans in cold places (including Kashmir). I hope you are talking about that only.


-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 2:14:33 pm17/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Gurcharan ji,
These are known as Chestnuts and are available here in the Muscat Super markets during Winter months.
These are to be roasted and then eaten after removing the outer cover.
I will check their origin and let you know.
Aarti
Chestnuts-DSCN0313.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
17-Oct-2011, 10:11:59 pm17/10/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, tanay bose
It must be interesting to know how these chestnuts (this is Castanea sativa) reach muscat. Are they grown there?, in such hot climate or kept in cold storage. I have tried to bring them from Kashmir (of course in late summer) to Delhi, but they get spoilt within a week or so.

-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
18-Oct-2011, 1:08:26 am18/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, aarti...@gmail.com
Gurcharan ji,
They are definitely not grown here locally.
We get fruits from all over the
world....US,Australia,Turkey,India,Kenya,South Africa,New Zealand and
many other places.
For a short period in Winter they are available in supermarkets and
also in dry fruit shops.
But you are right....they don't stay for long.
While choosing you need to pick up the fresh light brown ones.
I just called a dry fruit vendor I know....he says Chestnuts come from
New Zealand, Australia and Iran....places having cooler climate.

So your Kashmir fruits can be enjoyed here!
We do get Cherries from Kashmir during season here & Hazelnuts from
Turkey.
In the elite supermarkets you find Blue Berries,Cranberries,etc
Regards,
Aarti


On Oct 18, 6:11 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It must be interesting to know how these chestnuts (this is Castanea sativa)
> reach muscat. Are they grown there?, in such hot climate or kept in cold
> storage. I have tried to bring them from Kashmir (of course in late summer)
> to Delhi, but they get spoilt within a week or so.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.

> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/


>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Gurcharan ji,
> > These are known as Chestnuts and are available here in the Muscat Super
> > markets during Winter months.
> > These are to be roasted and then eaten after removing the outer cover.
> > I will check their origin and let you know.
> > Aarti
>

> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Chestnuts sold in warm climate are generally water chesnut, whose floor is
> >> eaten during fasts. It is Trapa bispinosa in warm places and Trapa natans in
> >> cold places (including Kashmir). I hope you are talking about that only.
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

> >> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>> Gurcharan ji,
> >>> Actually not so great.I have been going thro' your Kashmir flowers over
> >>> and over again.
> >>> Trying to match the leaves, etc for a possible id to my Kashmir pictures.
> >>> And I generally go by my sense of sight rather than all minute details.
> >>> Now I have to clarify a doubt.
> >>> We get Chestnuts here in Winter which are to be roasted and eaten.
> >>> I want to know if they are the same.
> >>> Will send a picture.
> >>> Thanks for confirmation of this one.
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Aarti
>

> >>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>> You are really great, Aarti ji
>
> >>>> --
> >>>> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >>>> Retired  Associate Professor
> >>>> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >>>> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >>>> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>>>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

Ushadi micromini

unread,
18-Oct-2011, 1:10:10 am18/10/11
to efloraofindia
is this a private conversation or can any one join in?

Ushadi micromini

unread,
18-Oct-2011, 7:01:02 am18/10/11
to efloraofindia


????




On Oct 18, 10:10 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
18-Oct-2011, 9:13:59 am18/10/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
You can surely join in Ushadi

-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

Reply to all
Reply to the author
Forward
0 new messages