For ID 030109ET 53

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Jan 3, 2009, 1:05:39 AM1/3/09
to .
Friends

THis picture I took inside the forest, Coorg , in the month of Dec.2008.
Please give ID

IMG_0016a.jpg

IMG_0016a.jpg

Neil Soares

Jan 3, 2009, 3:08:57 AM1/3/09
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Ekambaram,
  They could be the flowers of Capparis moonii. Am sending you a photograph taken at my farm at Shahapur on 1st Jan 09.  for comparison. The flowers being in the midst of a thorny bush thicket were a little difficult to photograph. Had earlier posted photographs of the fruit.
                                With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 1/3/09, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram <ethiruv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Capparis moonii flowers.jpg
Capparis moonii fruit 1.jpg
Capparis moonii fruit 2.jpg

Satya Prakash

Jan 3, 2009, 5:21:06 AM1/3/09
to Indian trees pix, J.M. Garg

Have a look to the article on following link

http://theviewspaper.net/ society/2008/12/4994

Thanks

Wishes

Satya Prakash Mehra

Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Get before others grab.

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Jan 3, 2009, 6:03:58 AM1/3/09
to .
On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram <ethiruv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Friends

THis picture I took inside  the forest, Coorg , in  the month of Dec.2008.
Please give ID

Thank you Sir
This flower , I saw only one in that plant around 2 metre above the ground. I do not remember whether it is a thorny plant. One of the participant in the group told me the name, which start with  letter V.
It is a big plant as Mr Khartic think, but I am not able to give dimensions.

IMG_0016a.jpg

With Warm Regards,

      THIRU
(E.Thiruvengadam)

Mobile 9987886892

Dinesh Valke

Jan 3, 2009, 7:30:16 AM1/3/09
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, .
I somehow feel that the photos uploaded by Neil ji (of Capparis moonii) are that of C. zeylanica.
Friends, please validate.
Regards.

Neil Soares

Jan 3, 2009, 12:57:38 PM1/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
  The identity was established by the great man himself Dr.M.R.Almeida on a visit to my farm.
                    Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

kush...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2009, 8:39:03 AM1/4/09
to indiantreepix
If the plant is from Kodagu(Coorg) then it could be syzigium sp. which
is seen in the evergreen forests

Kushalappa

On Jan 3, 10:57 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   The identity was established by the great man himself Dr.M.R.Almeida on a visit to my farm.
>                     Regards,
>                       Neil Soares.

oikos for ecological services

Jan 5, 2009, 1:04:48 AM1/5/09
to indiantreepix
It must be Syzygium laetum - see photo attached taken in Dajipur forests 3
years back in December.
regards,
Manasi
Syzygium laetum - dajipur (10).jpg

oikos for ecological services

Jan 5, 2009, 1:14:24 AM1/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Photo posted earlier - from forest of Coorg - must be Syzygium laetum (have posted a photo for comparison in my mail. It has red as well as white flowers, large size. The tree is evergreen medium sized, rare in Maharashtra.

Photos of capparis seem to be C. zeylanica. Pl check distribution of both Capparis species.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 1:58:17 AM1/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil,

No doubting greatness of Dr M R Almeida, or his ability to identify; my respects to him.

I have not yet sighted C. moonii, so cannot assert on my statement -- yet I do not know why I feel that the flower seems relatively smaller in form; especially the ratio of sizes of petals to sepals.
C. moonii, illustrated in FOS (or FFOS) by S Ingalhalikar also states a fact which has got registered in my mind -- that C. moonii is the largest among the Capparis species, almost as large as 10 cms.

Regards.

Neil Soares

Jan 5, 2009, 2:57:18 AM1/5/09
to oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ketaki / Manasi,
   Syzygium laetum is a medium-sized everygreen tree. I presume here we are discussing a scandent shrub.[ Mr. Ekambaran observed a 2 mt. high flowering plant].
           With regards,
              Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2009, 9:56:59 AM1/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Neil ji,
Here is what is stated by Thiru ji:

2009/1/5 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

mangala borkar

Jan 5, 2009, 11:36:07 PM1/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Neil, Capparis flower has a gynophore which is distinctly visible in your Capparis picture while the photograph of the flower from Coorg is not showing that. It looks like Syzigium laetum Even I had observed the same one in the Silent Valley but could not take the photograph as we were in a bus.
Borkar

Jan 6, 2009, 2:38:07 AM1/6/09
to mangala borkar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr.Borkar,
  Thanks for pointing this our. My apologies to all.
                 With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Feb 16, 2009, 9:40:02 PM2/16/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, mangala borkar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is further relevat portion of reply from Neil ji:
"Hi,
 Spent a morning with Dr.Almeida.
 It's Capparis zeylanica. It seems the great man has now changed his mind.[ C.moonii fruit are much larger and the flowers are white].
              Regards,
                 Neil Soares."