Brahmakamal

Pradnya Shenoy

Aug 20, 2008, 4:03:36 AM8/20/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
taken at my home. the flowers bloomed on 17th aug 2008.
dr pradnya
DSC_0236.JPG
DSC_0248.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 20, 2008, 8:01:22 AM8/20/08
to Pradnya Shenoy, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lovely photographs. Where do you stay? Is the climate congenial to this flower, as I thought that it grows only in the Valley of flowers. Where do you get its bulb/rhizome or seeds?
akbhatt

Chitra Shanker

Aug 20, 2008, 8:10:58 AM8/20/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Aug 20, 2008, 9:04:50 AM8/20/08
to indiantreepix
There are lot of newspaper reports from different parts, people
claiming that Braham kamal has bloomed in their place. Eventhough as
common name this is also called brahma Kamal, this species actualy is
a succulent with the scientific name Epiphyllum oxypetalum. This
species belongs to the family Cactaceae and native of warmer regions
of South America planted extensively in India especially in Rock
gardens and house-hold gardens. This is a weak stemmed plant with
flattened stem and generally grown with a support. It blooms during
night and flower has got good fragrance. Flower colour is creamish
white and also so many cultivars with pink, red colour flowers
developed in ornamental plants world.

The Brahma Kamal which in native to Himalayas is Saussurea species of
Asteraceae, which grows only in high altitudes.

Chandramohan Reddy

satish phadke

Aug 20, 2008, 10:02:50 AM8/20/08
to Pradnya Shenoy, indian...@googlegroups.com
This cactaceae member is called as Brahmakamal in Marathi and probably in other languages.
The true Brahmakamal blooms in Himalayas in large numbers, near Hemkund Sahib, an important pilgrim center for Sikhs.
You may observe the pictures of these in Pravin's album of valley of flowers.
Or may I request Pravin to post it separately for the members?
Regards
Satish

J.M. Garg

Aug 20, 2008, 11:42:14 AM8/20/08
to Chandramohan Reddy, indiantreepix
Some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyllum_oxypetalum

Epiphyllum oxypetalum (Dutchman's Pipe) is a species of cactus and one of the most cultivated species in the genus. It is also referred to as Night blooming Cereus and often confused with species of Selenicereus.

An easily cultivated, fast growing epiphyte. Needs compost containing plenty of humus and sufficient moisture in summer. Should not be kept under 10°C (50°F) in winter. Can be grown in semi-shade or full sun. Extra light in the early spring will stimulate budding. Flowers in late spring or early summer and large specimens can produce several crops of flowers in a season.

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Pradnya Shenoy

Aug 21, 2008, 2:39:41 AM8/21/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com

i stay in central suburb s of mumbai.
this year 5 flowers bloomed. Last year we were unlucky. But 2 years back we were gifted with 11 flowers at the same time.
dr pradnya

nabha meghani

Aug 20, 2008, 4:19:41 PM8/20/08
to Pradnya Shenoy, indian...@googlegroups.com
nice foto pradnya ji,
in my parents house in pune we used to have this flower in  an earthen pot. The foto reminds me of our old house, that doesn't exist anymore, a new tall building stands there without a garden.
thanks for sharing the foto.
nalini

sub.ma...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2008, 9:27:04 AM8/26/08
to indiantreepix
Dear Satish,
Please request Pravin to post it separately for members.
Subrata Mahapatra

On Aug 20, 7:02 pm, "satish phadke" <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This cactaceae member is called as Brahmakamal in Marathi and probably in
> other languages.
> The true Brahmakamal blooms in Himalayas in large numbers, near Hemkund
> Sahib, an important pilgrim center for Sikhs.
> You may observe the pictures of these in Pravin's album of valley of
> flowers.
> Or may I request Pravin to post it separately for the members?
> Regards
> Satish
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Pradnya Shenoy <pradnyashe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > taken at my home. the flowers bloomed on 17th aug 2008.
> > dr pradnya- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Aug 26, 2008, 9:08:37 PM8/26/08
to sub.ma...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Hello Gargji ,
The Brahmakamal that is said to flower at midnight is Epiphyllum crenatum syn.Phyllocactus crenatus from Family cactaceae.
Saussurea is a high altitude plant.
Borkar