White leaves | id request 22Mar2010AR01

raghu ananth

Mar 22, 2010, 12:55:35 PM3/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
White leaves - As always I wonder, is this odd white leaves because of a disease ? chlorophyll deficiency? Will the leaf survive like as long as its siblings.
Anyway, to me it appears like a natures handiwork.

Kumaraparvatha hills, South Canara, Karnataka
Western Ghats
26 Mar 2009, 10.38AM

Basic info: Leaf size - 4 inches, height -10 inches, Shape:- cordate, entire, acuminate

Date/Time-26 Mar 2009, 10.38AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Kumaraparvatha hills, South Canara, Karnataka, 12"39' 36.77" N  75" 40' 49.68 E, elev 4000ft approx

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild / Western ghats

lant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Height/Length-approx - 8-10 inches

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape -cordate, entire, acuminate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- Three white leaves

Regards
Raghu

P1130153a.jpg
P1130149a.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 22, 2010, 1:03:24 PM3/22/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu Ji,
this not a disease nor chlorophyll deficiency it completely genetical abnormality. Seen very rarely the leafs wont survive long due to albinism (white) lack of chlorophyll.
regards
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 22, 2010, 3:02:12 PM3/22/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu ji,

These are not leaves. This is the special feature of Mussaenda bellila, wherein the floral bracts are modified, enlarged and brightly white, probably to attract pollinators as the corolla is indistinct naturally. In Malayalam it is known as 'Vellila' means 'white leaf'.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

tanay bose

Mar 22, 2010, 11:06:13 PM3/22/10
to R. Vijayasankar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Vijayasankar Ji I was completely unaware of this plant and didn't know that is was the floral bract and what function it played. Thank you very very much for sharing the information with me .
Tanay

Vasant Barve

Mar 23, 2010, 1:21:43 AM3/23/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
There are many plants in this variety
Poincetia, Musanda even Bogan villia in this catagory.

Vasant Barve
======================
(*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 23, 2010, 3:04:14 AM3/23/10
to efloraofindia
Sorry Sir,

In Mussaenda, it is the sepals that get modified into coloured leaf
like structures and not the bracts..out of 5 sepals present in it one
gets modified into coloured structure either white or red..this plant
is Mussaenda frondosa of the family Rubiaceae..

On Mar 23, 10:21 am, Vasant Barve <vasantba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are many plants in this variety
> Poincetia, Musanda even Bogan villia in this catagory.
>
> Vasant Barve
> ======================
>

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you Vijayasankar Ji I was completely unaware of this plant and
> > didn't know that is was the floral bract and what function it played. Thank
> > you very very much for sharing the information with me .
> > Tanay
>
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM, R. Vijayasankar <
> > vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear Raghu ji,
>

> >> These are not leaves. This is the special feature of *Mussaenda bellila*,

> >> wherein the floral bracts are modified, enlarged and brightly white,
> >> probably to attract pollinators as the corolla is indistinct naturally. In
> >> Malayalam it is known as 'Vellila' means 'white leaf'.

> >> --
> >> With regards
>
> >> R. Vijayasankar
> >> National Center for Natural Products Research,
> >> The University of Mississippi,
> >> Oxford, MS-38677, USA.
>
> > --
> > Tanay Bose
> > +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> > 9830439691(Mobile)
> > 9674221362 (Mobile)
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> (*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my
> blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/     **)
>
> Dr. Vasant Barve
> # 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
> Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
> Nashik 422 005 (India)

> Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2010, 3:57:22 AM3/23/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
... have similar looking plant : http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Mussaendaglabrata&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags
Found it at Murudeshwara, South Kanara, Karanataka on 14 May 2007.
Considering it as Mussaenda glabrata ... M. glabrata and M. frondosa are perhaps related by synonymy.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Apr 25, 2010, 1:43:49 AM4/25/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Hari Venkatesh.K.Rajaraman

Earlier relevant feedback:

“These are not leaves. This is the special feature of Mussaenda bellila, wherein the floral bracts are modified, enlarged and brightly white, probably to attract pollinators as the corolla is indistinct naturally. In Malayalam it is known as 'Vellila' means 'white leaf'.” from Vijayasankar ji.

“In Mussaenda, it is the sepals that get modified into coloured leaf

like structures and not the bracts..out of 5 sepals present in it one
gets modified into coloured structure either white or red

..this plant
is Mussaenda frondosa
of the family Rubiaceae..” from Dr. Hari.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
P1130153a.jpg
P1130149a.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2010, 12:40:18 AM4/26/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Hari Venkatesh.K.Rajaraman
A reply:
"Its ofcourse M.frondosa...absolutely no doubt for me...if needed i may post the photos of 2 coloured varieties of the same grown in Western ghats
Thank You
Dr Hari Venkatesh"

Smilax004

Apr 26, 2010, 2:25:38 AM4/26/10
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

In M. frontosa the flowers are thick and densely arranged whereas, in
M bellila (the old name was M. laxa/M. frontosa var. laxa) the flowers
are arranged loose/lax.
If you get the specimen, while brushing through the leaves and if you
feel rough hairs on the leaves you can be sure of that as M frontosa
but if there are small smooth hairs that is M.bellila.

In most of the ecology text books and other introductory books it has
been mentioned as M. frontosa only. That had given an impression that
there is only one species that is M.frontosa.

Please be more cautious when deal with minute characters. Taxonomy is
interesting but it should be taken as a serious subject because it is
mostly based on minute characters and need your discretion to reach a
valid id.

Do refer a valid flora, I would like to emphasis not e-flora. I say
this because we found lots of mistake in many of the e floras that
might happened while copying the old literature in to e-format.
Unless you are thorough with the original description. You never find/
understand the mistake.
We had this problem all throughout when we were trying to make a key
for plants for farmers and layman.

Here the picture is of M.bellila. Vijayashankar was correct. He might
have handled several individals of this species from different parts
of India as he worked all throughout India and collected specimens
from different parts. He he may not go wrong.

Regards,
Giby

On Apr 26, 9:40 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A reply:
> "Its ofcourse M.frondosa...absolutely no doubt for me...if needed i may post
> the photos of 2 coloured varieties of the same grown in Western ghats
> Thank You
> Dr Hari Venkatesh"
>
> On 25 April 2010 11:13, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise pl.
>
> > Earlier relevant feedback:
> > “These are not leaves. *This is the special feature of Mussaenda bellila*,
> > wherein the floral bracts are modified, enlarged and brightly white,
> > probably to attract pollinators as the corolla is indistinct naturally. In
> > Malayalam it is known as 'Vellila' means 'white leaf'.” from Vijayasankar
> > ji.
>
> > “In Mussaenda, it is the sepals that get modified into coloured leaf
>
> > like structures and not the bracts..out of 5 sepals present in it one
> > gets modified into coloured structure either white or red
> > *..this plant
> > is Mussaenda frondosa* of the family Rubiaceae..” from Dr. Hari.
>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
> > Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> > For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies, Plants
> etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix

Dinesh Valke

Apr 26, 2010, 2:33:44 AM4/26/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Giby, ... believing you have inadvertently spelt the epithet frondosa as frontosa
There are very few instances of frontosa in Google search results.

Regards.

Giby Kuriakose

Apr 26, 2010, 2:45:49 AM4/26/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hi,

Am sorry about the mistake in the spelling of epithet frondosa. Please correct the same wile reading
It is not M.frontosa but M.frondosa.

Thanks a lot to Dinesh Valk for pointing out the mistake.

Thanks and Regards
Giby
ATREE, Bangalore

GIBY KURIAKOSE
Royal Enclave,
Jakkur Post, Srirampura
Bangalore- 560064
India
Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 26, 2010, 10:46:37 AM4/26/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Dear Giby,

Thanks a lot for your response and validation of id. I always say that identification with photograph may not be always 100 % correct. Whatever name we give is just a lead and it needs further literature verification with actual plant specimen/ Herbarium. As you rightly pointed out plant identification needs critical observation with real specimen.

With regards

Vijayasankar Raman

National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

raghu ananth

Feb 10, 2012, 10:09:58 AM2/10/12
to indiantreepix
Rubiaceae week: Mussaenda Bellila from Kumaraparvatha hills #AR09

Kumaraparvatha hills, South Canara, Karnataka
Western Ghats
26 Mar 2009, 10.38AM

Related eflora ID discussion

Thanks a lot for the ID help and enlightment on these Mussaenda's. Dr. Vijaysankar, Dr. Giby & Tanay, Dr. Hari.... Those days I believed  white bracts as leaves and  caused due to disease.
, lack of sunlight etc...
.
Is it possible to get the M.bellila plant description somewhere in the net..

Regards
Raghu

P1130153a.jpg
P1130149a.jpg

Satish Phadke

Feb 12, 2012, 12:17:07 PM2/12/12
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix
Thanks for sharing Raghu ji
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Prashant Awale

Feb 12, 2012, 1:00:28 PM2/12/12
to Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indiantreepix
Another Mussaenda, thanks Raghu ji for sharing.
Regards
Prashant