Images of .....

Suvarna

Oct 29, 2009, 6:30:01 AM10/29/09
to indiantreepix
Dear All,
I want to confirm how Putranjiva and Rudrasha tree looks like???
Suvarna

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 30, 2009, 7:30:19 AM10/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This plant is in my garden.I was told that it is of Rudraksha but I doubt so.
Pl help.
Suvarna

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 30, 2009, 7:32:26 AM10/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

:
Plant1.JPG

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 30, 2009, 8:07:16 AM10/30/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to disappoint you, it is not Rudraksha.

I have attached a picture of Rudraksh for reference.

--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore
elaeocarpus sphericus.jpg

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 30, 2009, 10:01:42 AM10/30/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Which plant is it then???
Suvarna

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 30, 2009, 11:15:54 AM10/30/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I may be wrong, but to me it appears like Synadenium grantii of Euphorbiaceae

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 30, 2009, 1:15:45 PM10/30/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Suvarna Ji,

It is Scaveola sericea of Goodyneaceae family. It is often found near the shore in some places.

Santhosh

2009/10/30 Suvarna Sarpotdar <suvarna....@gmail.com>

:

This plant is in my garden.I was told that it is of Rudraksha but I doubt so.
Pl help.
Suvarna

Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 30, 2009, 1:16:59 PM10/30/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr Vijayasankar,

Many thanks for sharing the picture of real rudraksha.

Santhosh

2009/10/30 Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.b...@gmail.com>

Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 31, 2009, 12:02:45 AM10/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
But its flowers are white  and looks like this as in the attachment.
Suvarna

which plant!.JPG
which plant, close-up.JPG

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 31, 2009, 12:09:07 AM10/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
which plant!.JPG
which plant, close-up.JPG

Vijayadas D

Oct 31, 2009, 1:50:59 AM10/31/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Once I see this plant in Trivandrum, Kerala , infront of a house , and they told me the name as Rudraksham (malayalam name) using for making Rudraksha mala.

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Oct 31, 2009, 3:38:19 AM10/31/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Vijayasankar Raman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Santoshji
Thanks for ID.Its common name is Beach Naupaka common in Hawaii Islands and has a beautiful story behind it.
 Suvarna

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Nov 1, 2009, 5:59:51 AM11/1/09
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
 Naliniji,

 The story goes as this,
**The Legend of Naupaka**

In one version:
A princess was forbidden to marry her true love, a fisherman, because he was a commoner. As they parted ways forever, she tore a flower in half, giving one half to him and keeping the other half for herself. She then returned to the mountains where her family lived. Broken-hearted, they both cried and planted their halves of the flower. Each half grew and became the two forms of naupaka – the beach naupaka (naupaka kahakai) and the mountain naupaka (naupaka kuahiwi).

Another version:
It is said that two lovers, greatly devoted to each other, came to the attention of the Goddess Pele. Pele found the young man desirable and appeared before him as a beautiful stranger. But no matter what Pele did the lovers remained devoted to each other.

Angered, Pele chased the young man into the mountains, throwing molten lava at him. Pele's sisters witnessed this and to save the young man from a certain death they changed him into the mountain Naupaka. Pele immediately went after the young woman and chased her towards the sea - but again Pele's sisters stepped in and changed the young lover into beach Naupaka.

It is said that if the mountain Naupaka and beach Naupaka flowers are reunited, the two young lovers will be together again.

Suvarna
To take full advantage of Flickr, you should use a JavaScript-enabled browser and
install the latest version of the Macromedia Flash Player.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM, nabha meghani <nabha-...@gmx.de> wrote:
Suvarna ji,
plz. i wud like to know the story.
TIA
Nalini
Nov 4, 2009, 1:07:19 AM11/4/09
to Devipriya V, Suvarna Sarpotdar, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Devipriya ji,

Guazuma ulmifolia is a native of tropical America and is planted here as an ornamental. It is called as rudraksha only because of its similar appearance of its dried FRUITS. Otherwise it has no connection with our Rudraksha (Elaeocarpus sphaericus) whose SEEDS are medicinal, considered sacred and used as garlands.

Devipriya V

Nov 4, 2009, 10:46:57 AM11/4/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

          Thank you. Is Bhadraksha called Scaveola taccada ?   If so, could anybody please upload its photo too ?

                             with regards,

                                              devipriya

Satish Phadke

Nov 4, 2009, 10:52:24 AM11/4/09
to Devipriya V, Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gauzuma ulmifolia is called Bhadraksha rather than Rudraksha.
Satish

Devipriya V

Nov 5, 2009, 12:01:58 PM11/5/09
to Satish Phadke, Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sathish sir,

                             Thank you. I have heard that here in Kerala also, G. ulmifolia is called Bhadraksha. But when you search the net, you  come across Scaveola. Is it a mistake then ?
                                                 with regards,

                                                                   devipriya

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Nov 6, 2009, 3:24:55 AM11/6/09
to Devipriya V, Satish Phadke, Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gauzuma ulmifolia is  called Bhadraksha in Kerala and Scaveola sericea also known by the same name because of its similarity in their fruit shapes. Scaveola fruits will not last long whereas Gauzuma's fruits remain as such for a long time. Local name may be varies and different plants having same regional or local names. I think we can stop this thread here.

Regards

Santhosh

2009/11/5 Devipriya V <devipri...@gmail.com>
2009/11/4 Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

2009/11/4 Devipriya V <devipri...@gmail.com>

Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 6, 2009, 12:14:12 PM11/6/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vijayasankar for your image of Rudraksha ( Elaeocarpus sphericus ).

The genus,  Elaeocarpus, is believed to have more than 350 sps. It is distributed from Madagascar in the west, to India, SE Asia, Malaysia, south China, Japan, Borneo, New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand to Fiji and Hawaii in the east. Except for central America and tropical Africa, it covers all the tropical regions of the world, extending into the temperate regions of Japan and New Zealand too.

However, according to Wikipedia, Rudrakshas are seed of many Elaeocarpus sps but  mostly seed of   Elaeocarpus ganitrus, the Rudraksha Tree.    E. sphericus is not specifically mentioned. Can anyone give an explanation?

Rudraksha seed apart from its religious significance has also  medicinal properties. It is said that if the seed is hung freely it aligns itself in a north/south direction like a magnet. Another little known fact is that the timber of the Rudraksha tree was used to make aeroplane propellors during World War I.

Sorry to disappoint you, it is not Rudraksha.

I have attached a picture of Rudraksh for reference.

--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 6, 2009, 11:05:35 PM11/6/09
to Mahendra Prasad, Vijayasankar Raman, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Elaeocarpus sphaericus (Gaertn.) K. Schum. and E. ganitrus Roxb. are synonymous. According to GRIN taxonomy page E. ganitrus and E. sphaericus auct. ate both synonyms of E. angustifolius Blume. Eflora of China also relegates E. ganitrus Roxb. as synonym of E. angustifolius.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor