Khejur gud

Aparna Watve

Jun 22, 2010, 12:45:53 AM6/22/10
to plantecolo...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix Indian, India_angios...@yahoogroups.com
Dear All,
I am writing a no-scientific article on "Khejur gud" (-Phoenix
sylvestris) of West Bengal. But I needed information about the making
of this gud in other parts of India. Has anyone of you
worked/documented gud making? where all does it happen outside West
Bengal?
Also another nagging question, is there any scientific reason why
Maharashtra which has so much collection of Phoenix sylvestris sap
does not turn it into jaggery?
Thanks in advance,
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve

Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

Dinesh Valke

Jun 22, 2010, 12:56:37 AM6/22/10
to Aparna Watve, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Aparna,

Some links:

1) reminds of the famous bollywood movie "Saudagar" ... never knew we get jaggery from palm (and that too more priced than that from sugarcane)
 ... http://environmenteducation-india.blogspot.com/2009/10/learn-all-about-date-palm-jaggery-with.html
2) The sago palm and coconut palm are also now tapped for producing jaggery in South India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery
3) best of reading on jaggery
 ... http://www.organicfacts.net/nutrition-facts/others/what-is-jaggery.html

The 3rd link may help you.

... some bit of discussion on palm jaggery is done in earlier post of Caryota urens at:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/681411f1209248ec?hl=en

Regards.

Aparna Watve

Jun 22, 2010, 2:39:46 AM6/22/10
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks for taking so much trouble Dinesh, but this information is too
general for my purpose. I am interested in knowing if there is Phoenix
sylvestris gud making "outside" of West Bengal and where.. Also any
reasons why Maharashtra has none of it, although having big Phoenix
sap industry.
Regards
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 22, 2010, 2:51:52 AM6/22/10
to Aparna Watve, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
One reason I can think of about Maharashtra not making palm jaggery is that the sap is used as it is. A lot of people drink it in the morning un-fermented and more in the fermented condition. Between the two, hardly any sap is left! Then it is the biggest centre of cane sugar production in the country. Who is bothered about lowly palm jaggery!!
ak
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 30 May 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

mani nair

Jun 22, 2010, 3:09:51 AM6/22/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Aparna Watve, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
I agree with Anandji,  most of the liquid collected is used as Toddy which is more popular here !!

Satya Prakash

Jun 22, 2010, 4:22:15 AM6/22/10
to indiantreepix Indian, Aparna Watve, Dinesh Valke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, mani nair
Same is the case at Mt Abu (Sirohi, Rajasthan). The sap is used by the people - liquid content is drunk and solid pulp is eaten.

It was quite common in till 1980s but now due to cutting of the palms it is rarely seen in the northern and western parts of Abu Hills.

Similarly to very low extent, the fermented extract is also used by the tribals of Southern Rajasthan.

Regards
Satya Prakash Mehra

Satish Phadke

Jun 22, 2010, 11:27:14 AM6/22/10
to Aparna Watve, plantecolo...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix Indian, India_angios...@yahoogroups.com
I have eaten this Khajur gud in a small village on the road between Pachmarhi to Kanha 8 years back.
Dr Phadke