Malvaceae week 952011-9112011 UD 020 Bombax ceiba Lal Sheemul

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 11:41:36 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares

Malvaceae week 952011-9112011 UD 020 Bombax ceiba  Lal sheemul

Dear All:

For about 8 to 10 day at the very beginning of spring in Kolkata there is  a bright red spot among the bare branched tree tops… and if you pay attention you can count numerous birds, esp bulbuls and sunbirds etc  drinking nectar and eting away something….

 I believe Bimal da had done a series this year to document the species of birds visiting the red Sheemul flowers…

The two pictures I am sending in are from a tree whose branches come down to my eye level…   near where we  go for morning walks….

Family:                   Malvaceae

Subfamily:                       Bombacoideae

Genus:                                      Bombax  L.

Species :                                                 Bombax ceiba

Colloquial names : red sheemul,  shimul,  shalmali etc

Enjoy

USha di

Bombax ceiba 1 Sheemul flowers Lakes 308 file (12) sm.jpg
Bombax ceiba 2 Sheemul red kapok flowers Lakes 308 file (15) sm.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 12:23:58 PM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares
... liked the pictures, Usha di.
Regards.
Dinesh

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 12:59:19 PM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares
Nice one ... Ushadi Ji are you from Kolkata.
the Last image background reminds me of
Kolkata
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 1:14:12 PM9/8/11
to Tanay Bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares
yes and yes to both q

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 8, 2011, 3:15:11 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares, ushadi Micromini
hey some reorientation is occuring in brain.
Again never occured that Katesavari is Malvaceae
Madhuri

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 8:35:38 PM9/8/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares, ushadi Micromini
Madhuri ji pls see the link
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 10:44:13 PM9/8/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares
yes Madhuri.... keep it open... this family is in a great flux... APG APGII and Thorne systems come to mind...  each system it seems keeps moving the chess pieces around....in subfamily, and tribes... so one never knows (esp  people like me semi serious "non-botanist-botanist" types... for me this was a source of confusion and apprehension,)

May be as the data is coordinated...  Balkarji would give us his take on the classification!!

ha ha Balkarji one more job!!

usha di

=====

Ushadi micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 11:24:39 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia

On Sep 9, 7:44 am, ushadi Micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes Madhuri.... keep it open... this family is in a great flux... APG APGII
> and Thorne systems come to mind...  each system it seems keeps moving the
> chess pieces around....in subfamily, and tribes... so one never knows (esp
> people like me semi serious "non-botanist-botanist" types... for me this was
> a source of confusion and apprehension,)
>
> May be as the data is coordinated...  Balkarji would give us his take on the
> classification!!
>
> ha ha Balkarji one more job!!
>
> usha di
>
> =====
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> > hey some reorientation is occuring in brain.
> > Again never occured that Katesavari is Malvaceae
> > Madhuri

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 9, 2011, 12:26:33 AM9/9/11
to Ushadi micromini, Efloraindia
You and me r sailing in same boat. I knew a little Botany prior. You r learning it now. But to be frank in my jr BSc. I use to like Botany very much. But there were 33 families for study. I did not like Taxonomy much then, if I had taken Botany as my major I would have to learn 66 families. Sooooo went for Zoology.
I give the entire credit to this heterogenous group which made me take interest in taxonomy. The credit goes to Gargji too who invited me on the group.
Thanks again
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Satish Phadke

Sep 9, 2011, 6:34:01 AM9/9/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Ushadi micromini, Efloraindia
Yes Madhuri ji
I was reluctant to post initially as I had very limited quota from Malvaceae. But after looking at some posts I came to know about this business of mergers and acquisitions similar to large corporate groups. I was happy later to include all my Bombacaceae and Sterculiaceae pictures. By the way Tiliaceae with many Grewias are still there. Let us see how much one can post.......
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2011, 7:18:26 AM9/9/11
to Satish Phadke, formp...@yahoo.com, Ushadi micromini, Efloraindia
Satish ji
Even I had forgotten to include a few, till I found them uploaded by Dinesh ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mohan V. Chunkath