Flowering trees in delhi--Two plumerias

vinod kumar gupta

Apr 9, 2008, 1:37:14 PM4/9/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Taken near my residence 4 days back

Vinod

http://mail.yahoo.com
plumeria-obtusa_sm-vhr_74_050408.jpg
plumeria-rubra_sm-vhr_79_050408.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 9, 2008, 11:12:02 PM4/9/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few links to Plumeria obtusa:

& some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumeria

Plumeria (common name Frangipani; syn. Himatanthus Willd. ex Roem. & Schult.) is a small genus of 7-8 species native to tropical and subtropical Americas. The genus consists of mainly deciduous shrubs and trees.

Plumeria is related to the Oleander, Nerium oleander, and both possess poisonous, milky sap, rather similar to that of Euphorbia. Each of the separate species of Plumeria bears differently shaped leaves and their form and growth habits are also distinct. The leaves of P. alba are quite narrow and corrugated, while leaves of P. pudica have an elongated oak shape and glossy, dark green color. P. pudica is one of the everblooming types with non-deciduous, evergreen leaves. Another species that retains leaves and flowers in winter is P. obtusa; though its common name is "Singapore", it is originally from Colombia.

Plumeria flowers are most fragrant at night in order to lure sphinx moths to pollinate them. The flowers have no nectar, and simply dupe their pollinators. The moths inadvertently pollinate them by transferring pollen from flower to flower in their fruitless search for nectar.

Plumeria species are easily propagated by taking a cutting of leafless stem tips in spring and allowing them to dry at the base before inserting them into soil. They are also propagated via tissue culture both from cuttings of freshly elongated stems and via aseptically germinated seed.

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Apr 10, 2008, 9:39:22 AM4/10/08
to vinod kumar gupta, treepix Indian
It is Plumeria rubra forma acutifolia.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Apr 10, 2008, 10:00:56 AM4/10/08
to J.M. Garg, treepix Indian
It is not Plumeria obtusa.  In P. obtusa, the leaves are obtuse!  See my earlier mail for id. .
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

On 4/9/08, vinod kumar gupta <vkgupt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Taken near my residence 4 days back

Vinod

http://mail.yahoo.com
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Check out the all-new face of Yahoo! India. Click here.

vinod kumar gupta

Apr 10, 2008, 10:44:31 AM4/10/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, J.M. Garg, treepix Indian
Dear Dr.Mahadeswara,I still think that one of the pics was that of P.obtusa.
Attaching another shot of the same tree showing leaves for your kind opinion

Vinod

plumeria_id_sm-vhr_77_050408.jpg

vinod kumar gupta

Apr 11, 2008, 8:21:56 AM4/11/08
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmg...@gmail.com
My all mails have been marked seperately.Therefore I dont think there is any confusion.The guidelines regarding subject are when trees are being sent for id(which was not the case here)

Why I asked the question of you is because I had posted the two plumerias in seperate attachments with one mail.I think it makes easier to compare the two common plumerias
BTW,are there any guidelines as to the no of mails per day.Mr Garg may please clarify

Vinod

Apr 11, 2008, 10:26:31 AM4/11/08
to vinod kumar gupta, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think everything is fine. No problem with the subject as Vinod ji has posted them for comparision. I also think the first picture is of Plumeria obtusa.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg