Three Peepal trees - named after the Hindu trinity of gods

raghu ananth

Sep 6, 2008, 3:44:21 AM9/6/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

In a land where superstitions flourish and where ancient beliefs are passed down from generation to generation, this should not sound so very strange.

For at the entrance of Chandagal village (in Mysore district), lived three peepal trees (Photo date: Feb 2005) which are named after the Hindu trinity of gods – Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara. But what is even more bizarre is the fact that the villagers believe that chopping down a peepal tree causes death in the family.

In fact, the second photograph (Photo date: Sep 2005) shows how one of the peepal tree was cut but then abandoned halfway. It is said that the peepal tree was sold to a person and that person died before the tree could be completely cut. The family of the deceased then decided to abandon the tree cutting operations. (The tree remains in the same state till date.)

Chandagal village

Mysore district

Sep 2008

Regards

Raghu / Sunita

Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! Group.
PeepalTreees-Photo-Feb2005.jpg
PeepalTreee-Photo-Sep2005.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 7, 2008, 5:32:21 AM9/7/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
My grandmother during her lifetime (she died in 1963) used to say that her husband died a premature death ( he died when my father was only 8 years, and my youngest uncle was born poosthumously) because he had a large peepal tree cut. This superstition is deep-rooted in north India also.
akbhatt