Fwd: ceropegia

J.M. Garg

Aug 19, 2009, 3:35:28 AM8/19/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding pl.

"This flower was found in Eastern Ghats Bakhrapet range off Tirupati in August. Is it a common Ceropegia sp. in the Eastern Ghats? What is the correct species name? Regards,
rajaram "

This flower was found in Eastern Ghats Bakhrapet range off Tirupati in August. Is it a common Ceropegia sp. in the Eastern Ghats? What is the correct species name? Regards,
rajaram

Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Ceropegia sp.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 20, 2009, 12:17:43 AM8/20/09
to indiantreepix
Some feedback from Shrikant ji:
"Dear Mr. Rajaram,
This is possibly Ceropegia candelabrum var. biflora reported from eastern India. Please provide sizes of corolla , lobes and apex along with vegetative characters for confirmation. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar 098228 36274 Pune."

J.M. Garg

Aug 20, 2009, 2:10:36 AM8/20/09
to indiantreepix, Anantanarayan Rajaram
Here is some feedback from Rajaram ji:
"The whole length of the flower was 5-5.5 cm. The climber was  about 1 metre high. I didn't get the leaves details since I was just attracted by the oddity of the flowers at that time!  Dr. Mahadeswaraswamy my colleague and who is in this group mentioned Ceropegia tuberosa as possible but he was also not sure. Thanks very much for the info.
Rajaram"

J.M. Garg

Aug 20, 2009, 10:05:17 AM8/20/09
to indiantreepix, Anantanarayan Rajaram
Further feedback from Shrikant ji:
"Dear Rajaram,
Yes, the info provided by you tallies with C. candelabrum v. biflora. I will come back to you with confirmation. Thanks
Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

J.M. Garg

Aug 27, 2009, 1:17:36 PM8/27/09
to indiantreepix, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Here is further reply from Shrikant ji:
"Dear Rajaram,
I have confirmed that this is Ceropegia candelabrum v. biflora. Congrats for having located a rare one. What is the abundence of this plant? Regards

J.M. Garg

Aug 28, 2009, 1:11:35 AM8/28/09
to indiantreepix, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Here is a reply from Rajaram ji:
"Dear Shrikanth,
Thanks very much. When I took this picture, if I remember correct, there were a couple of plants in that 50 sq. m. area but there should be many such suitable habitats around. This was when I was part of a BNHS bird ringing program some years ago. The Tirupathi hills  and possibly much of the Eastern Ghats are comparatively less well  explored than the Western Ghats. I am aware that the Dept. of Environment has recognized the Eastern Ghats as a Biodiversity hotspot and projects submitted have a good chance of getting funded. I feel knowledgeable and committed Botanists should apply and undertake this exciting work. Best regards,
Rajaram"