Question & Identification

Vinay Thite

Feb 17, 2021, 12:35:32 AM2/17/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The length of ray floret.

In my photo of Ray floret, the blade is 15 mm, and the floret stalk is 7 mm. So, the ray floret length is 22 mm or 15mm? This information is important to distinguish between four candidates, namely Delairea odorata, Senecio angulatus, Senecio tamoides, and Senecio macroglossus.

-----

Kindly identify this plant.

Date/Time- 15 FEB 2021

Location-Place, Altitude, GPS- Bengaluru

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Balcony Garden

Plant Habit-Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Climber

Height/Length- Grown up to 100 cm tall.

Flowers are not fragrant. Most of the flowers have five ray florets.

-----

The yellow flowers are difficult to identify.

My reasoning:

My flower has five ray florets. So, it cannot be Delairea odorata (no ray florets).

The ray floret blade length is 15 mm. It is medium. So, it cannot neither be a small blade (6-9 mm) flower of Senecio angulatus nor be a large blade (>20mm) flower of Senecio macroglossus.

So, by eliminating all the possibilities one can safely reason out that the flower is Senecio tamoides.

-----

Other observations from 'Comparison' photo.

The flower in question has bracts longer and not curling away. There is a presence of pappus between the bract whorl and ray floret whorl.

-----

Now I invite all experts to confirm the flower.

--
Vinay Thite
VST20210216-Ray floret.png

J.M. Garg

Feb 21, 2021, 6:40:04 AM2/21/21
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite
Thanks, Vinay ji.
Pl. also post the habit and leaf images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 21, 2021, 11:51:29 AM2/21/21
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite
Thanks, Vinay ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Feb 25, 2021, 5:02:49 AM2/25/21
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite
Thanks, Vinay ji.
Yes, identified as such earlier at Identification
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg